PDA

View Full Version : Spare Key for DII

Rineheitzgabot
12-08-2008, 01:06 PM
I need a spare key for my DII. I do not want the fancy, lock/unlock brain on it, so I don't have to pay the $12,274 (yes, that's Twelve-Thousand, Two-Hundred, Seventy-Four Dollars, and yes, I'm kidding, but it deserves the sarcasm) that a dealer wants.

I have seen "blank" DII keys on ebay, but I do not trust them.

Does anyone have any experience with getting a "blank" for a DII, and having it cut somewhere (with or without the "brain") ?

dcwhybrew
12-08-2008, 10:19 PM
If RN doesnt have them then try roverconnection.com. Look under the DII parts (not accessories) section. They have the basic key.

Paul Grant
12-13-2008, 07:07 AM
It looks like any key that can be made at a True Value Hardware Store. I regularly have keys made there for RRC's and DI's. I have a DI key and a DII key here in my hands now and they look like they use the same blank. Try a True Value Hardware Store. Home Depot and the like do not have the selection of blanks that the hardware store does. Ask for blank RV4 and they should be able to cut it for you.

LandyII
12-13-2008, 11:28 AM
If you don't need the clickability of a Land Rover "spare key" just have one cut at any key cutting place. I know, I have 3 spare keys - 2 made at the Home Depot and 1 made at ACE hardware

Rineheitzgabot
12-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Thank you for that information. You saved me lots of money and trouble.

GypsyRover
02-24-2009, 06:53 PM
I just find it fascinating, all this key stuff. I have gotten great blanks from ebay, and yes, they did work. My local locksmith had plain silver and the kind with the black plastic. One of the local stealerships charged me $10 for a blank and then another $10 for cutting it! I though for sure they were joking. Ever since I have been on a quest to get keys made for less than $20. The guys a different dealerships did admit that Land Rover has made an inferior key. Like one of mine (of course its the expensive buuton key) the metal part keeps coming out of the big button. They told me to user some super glue! Then sold me the $20 dollar no frills key.

GypsyRover

Rineheitzgabot
02-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Paul Grant (above) had it right.

I bought two extra keys at the local hardware store (Do it Best), for $1.58 tax included, per piece. They let me take them out to the car to test them before I paid for them.

I was surprised when I looked at the "blank" key rack, found RV4, then saw in the description, "Land Rover".

Paul Grant
02-24-2009, 07:07 PM
True Value Hardware will easily beat the $20 mark. I think I paid less than $3 to get the last spare DII key made. My hardware store cuts them for me all the time. I part out several Rovers a month so I am always in need of keys being made for doors and ignitions. I'm telling you, the blank RV4 from any True Value will do the trick for any RRC, DI, D90/110 or DII.