PDA

View Full Version : 109 Canvas top over p/u top

chester rides again
12-09-2008, 01:24 AM
Living up here next to Canada, it sure is nice to have what little heat I have contained in the pick-up top on my truck. However, snow piling up and lack of covered storage space make me long for warmer temperatures when the canvas can go back on.

Has anyone ever placed a canvas top on top of the pick-up top? Apart from the front attachment points and those over the door, I would think it would be possible to mount both. you might need a second center frame to place directly behind the pick-up cab, but not much else than that, right?

Just thought I'd ask before I pulled out my canvas and gave it a wack...

Jeff

LaneRover
12-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Is a 3/4 canvas out of the question?

I have both a full canvas and a 3/4 canvas for my 109 p-up. Keeps you warm and you have a covered space. There is a 'frame' that goes around the p-up's rear window that the canvas wraps around to channel water to each side and there are channels that you can get that bring the water out to the edges of the truck. I lucked out as my p-up top already had the 'frame' around the window.

chester rides again
12-09-2008, 05:11 PM
i'm hoping to use my existing full canvas top. thinking about the door attachment, i would also have to address the area to the rear of the door.

LaneRover
12-09-2008, 09:36 PM
i'm hoping to use my existing full canvas top. thinking about the door attachment, i would also have to address the area to the rear of the door.

If that is the case, what about just rolling up the part that goes to the windscreen where the Pick-up top is? It wouldn't be completely weather tight but then neither is the hardtop on my 88! You also may be able to tie in the side pieces that would usually go to the back of the door.

Not sure how good - or bad that would be for the top itself. Have you thought about doing some sort of cover over just the bed? With some fabric and a few grommets you might be able to come up with something useable.