PDA

View Full Version : Will this work

CLIFF
12-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Will this work for my 1967 88'' land rover? And is it a good price? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Modern-Starter-Land-Rover-Series-II-IIa-III-1958-80_W0QQitemZ250325300117QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item250325300117&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Donnie
12-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Will this work for my 1967 88'' land rover? And is it a good price? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Modern-Starter-Land-Rover-Series-II-IIa-III-1958-80_W0QQitemZ250325300117QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item250325300117&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
Hi, I'm not sure if it would work or not, but a high perf starter is not really needed, I can crank mine with a hand crank...My self, I think it's overkill, but let the Xperts chime in with a real opinion.........

Myron
12-11-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm certainly not an expert, but I can tell you that the Lucas starter engages the flywheel from its rear face, not its front face. This starter appears to engage from the front of the flywheel. I had a Mean Green starter on my Land Rover for a while, but after a time it started to gnash with the flywheel because of this very discrepancy. I replaced it with a rebuilt Lucas from our hosts, which never fails to start the engine even in the coldest weather.

Myron

CLIFF
12-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the info.

Tim Smith
12-12-2008, 11:13 AM
I actually have one of these in my SIII. Fitting it was a bit easier than taking the old one out just because of the size difference.

I can say that the thing works great. Spins the motor faster than my idle speed and certainly seems to use less power. I was having difficulty with cold weather starts (where no, I couldn't crank it over by hand) and the old starter's bendix finally jammed up.

It's been in the truck for a year now but the truck doesn't get used every day. So I can't tell you about long term reliability. It does kind of sound like grinding gears a bit. Not something I expected but still no complaints.

Jeff Aronson
12-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I also have a Mean Green starter, which is very similar, on one of my II-A's. It certainly cranks efficiently, but my other Series II-A has a rebuilt Lucas starter. Both cars start fine with each starter. The only real advantage of the Nippon, Gustavson or M.G. starter [which I don't think is available any more] is their smaller physical dimension that makes installation easier. If you had lower compression or less than ideal ignition tuning, then a gear reduction starter might help make up for the shortcoming of the engine.

The other problem to me is that I don't know the longevity of a Mean Green starter in daily use; mine is now 4 years old and the car is used daily. Most of the British sports cars' starters, like my Triumphs, have been rebuilt so many times that they don't get good rebuilds. I went through 3 on my TR-7 once trying to get a rebuild that would work! But my Rover starters from RN [in over 500,000 miles and 18 years of Land Rover driving] have always worked right out of the box.

Jeff

Tim Smith
12-12-2008, 04:39 PM
I forgot to mention. This starter comes with it's own relay on the side.

This is great because it gives you the option of using the truck's starter relay (remember that mine is a SIII) until it finally goes... in the cold... and you can't hand start it.

Then you can remove the jumper that you put on the starter and connect your starter ignition line straight to the starter it's self.

Don't ask how I know this.

Another side benefit. In my case at least. The original starter was using so much power that the coil wasn't getting a charge while the starter was turning. So I could turn the motor over but it wouldn't fire until I let off the starter circuit. The new starter solved this little gremlin.

SafeAirOne
12-12-2008, 10:41 PM
2 other related benefits of the Mean Green starter are: 1) in certain off-roading situations, you can use the starter to propel the vehicle in a very delicate, controlled manner that is not acheivable in low range and 2) when your rover dies in the middle of the road while waiting for a traffic light, you can use the starter to "drive" you off to the shoulder.

I know, I know...You can do these things with the factory starter, but it is very hard on stock starters/electrical systems. It's much easier for the gear-reduction Mean Green starter to do it.

Eric W S
12-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Any problems with the reduction starters in water? I have heard the Mean Green's do not like to get wet. There were a few bad stories on the D-90.com bbs about them....