PDA

View Full Version : Tires Don't Wear

Jim-ME
12-15-2008, 04:06 AM
I just got 4 new tires after completely rebuilding my front end from the ends of the axle tubes out. I have about 2,000 miles on the repair and noticed that my passengers side front tire is cupping on the inside. I set the toe-in to the proper specs and I know that there are no additional alignment settings on a Series. Any ideas? I can't afford new tires every 7 0r 8,000 mi.
Thanks,
Jim

I Leak Oil
12-15-2008, 04:54 AM
Tire pressure? Bad shock absorber? Bent axle housing? Bad tie rod end?
Jason T.

Jeff Aronson
12-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Check that tire for balance; cupping can be a result of bad balance. Also, are you certain that there's no movement at the swivel ball?

Check again for any "12 and 6" movement to make certain the swivel ball shims are correct for that side.

Good luck,

Jeff

Andrew IIA
12-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Check that tire for balance; cupping can be a result of bad balance.

Good luck,

Jeff

Balance a wheel on a Series Rover ? That's a good one Jeff :p

Andrew
"No balancing weights on any wheels" SIIA

sven
12-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Loose wheel bearing?

LaneRover
12-15-2008, 07:34 AM
I have heard that it is easy to get the swivel balls on upside down (I am sure someone can refute that) and that the result is uneven wear.

Jim-ME
12-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Can you expand on the shim possibility? I had more resistance than the manual stated. Could that be the problem?
Jim

I Leak Oil
12-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Jim,
Assuming you have the later style railco setup you can add a shim to the top pin to reduce the preload on the swivel assembly. That top pin is what creates the preload, add shim to reduce the load, remove shim to increase. Being too tight will cause the steering be feel heavy and not self center but probably won't cause the tire to wear. If the swivel were loose it might though.
Jason T.

Jim-ME
12-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Jason,
I am on the tight side definitely not the loose side so I don't think the shims are the problem. I'll check the shocks. The wheel bearings were new as were the hubs and spindles. The tie rod ends were in good shape when I rebuilt the front end. Any idea on how to check for a bent axle housing?
Jim

SafeAirOne
12-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Jim,

I know the camber of the wheel is non-adjustable, but you might just bring it to an alignment shop and see how the wearing side compares to the good side. This should tell you if it is POSSIBLE that something is bent.

I only have the SIII workshop manual, so I don't know if the numbers apply to close-headlight models but the book says:

"DATA

Vehicles in static unlaiden condition with coolant, oils and 22,7 litres (5 imperial gallons) of fuel, tyres at recommended pressures.

Castor angle.....................3*
Camber angle....................1* 3'
Swivel pin inclination..........7*
Front wheel toe-in.............1,2 to 12,4mm (3/64 to 3/32 in.)"

You might be able to tell any difference in castor angle at home if you have one of those fancy, expensive and accurate digital levels.

Jim-ME
12-16-2008, 03:11 AM
That probably is the best thing to do as it is cheaper than just starting to replace parts. Please don't let it be a bent housing.
Jim