PDA

View Full Version : Starter not turning

swray
12-15-2008, 08:22 AM
I have a 65 IIA with the stock starter. I also have the hand crank start but cannot turn the engine over either...is it possible the start being jammed would cause the engine not to turn over?

Jeff Aronson
12-15-2008, 09:35 AM
By "not turn the engine over," do you mean it will not rotate the crankshaft or that it will not fire up?

Do you mean that when you hand crank the engine, it feels stuck? It will not let you turn it?

Jeff

swray
12-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Crankshaft will not rotate. With the hand crank I cannot get it to budge...

Jeff Aronson
12-15-2008, 09:47 AM
A stuck starter is usually stuck at the solenoid, and it clicks and jams, or stays engaged after the car is started. I've not known of one jamming up against the ring gear so tightly that nothing will turn - but that doesn't mean it's not the problem.

Can you remove the starter, or at least slide it back from the ring gear engagement? If you could turn the crank somewhat then, you'd know the problem was in the stater itself.

I assume the car was running fine before, and that you had fine oil pressure, no untoward noises, etc.?

Jeff

swray
12-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Running great...just returned from gathering a small load of firewood. Pulled up the the woodpile, shut it off, unloaded the wood and could not turn it over...I really hope it turns over when I slide back the starter!

Jeff Aronson
12-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Yes, me, too.

Remember that you can always run it with the starter not hooked up electrically until you replace/repair it.

Let us know what happens with the starter out of the car.

Jeff

Jeff Ward
12-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi swray,
We had a farm tractor with a starter bendix that would occasionally jam against the flywheel teeth. The quick and easy fix was to put the tractor in high gear, try to push it back and forth. Most times it would "pop" the bendix loose and we were back in business. If it won't pop, taking out the starter bolts will let it free up.
Fishersville? I'm in Waynesboro. Small world, after all.

swray
12-17-2008, 09:40 AM
I waited overnight thinking there might be some metal contraction that might help, which it did. I think I got lucky.

Eric W S
12-17-2008, 10:00 AM
I waited overnight thinking there might be some metal contraction that might help, which it did. I think I got lucky.

My starter should look like it just got out of the pool with the weather we've been having lately here in Chicago.

Good to know patience sometimes works...

EwS

galen216
12-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Series trucks in Fisherville and Waynesboro? I'm just below Charlottesville.