PDA

View Full Version : Crossbar behind front seats..Necessary??

SafeAirOne
12-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Other than holding the seatbacks upright, how necessary is the crossbar that goes between the t-posts in a series III 109? (see photo) While browsing, I noticed that dormobiles don't have this bar. I don't know about pre-SIII 109s. I'd love to remove this bar so that normal-sized humans can sit straight in the back seat.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1048&d=1218137075

LaneRover
12-17-2008, 08:18 AM
you'll have to remove the bar after finding new seats that don't rely on the bar for support.

crankin
12-17-2008, 09:03 AM
I know that you could put a bolt in the seats to make them static (where they no long fold down). But, I am guessing that you might lose some structural support for the back section by removing the bar.

The back part of the seat has a thin sheet of wood (or at least mine did). I think that if you leaned back really hard it would snap that wood. If you are worried about it...you might make a square framing, to fit around each seats back, with angle iron to reinforce the back section.

SafeAirOne
12-17-2008, 09:14 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of "Is this part structurally required for the rigid-ness of the body, or is it just there to hold up the seatbacks?" Putting new seats in is easy, but I don't want the body to fold up on me if there's a heavy load on the roof rack and I'm traversing challenging terrain with that crossbar removed.

greenmeanie
12-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Looking at its design that bar is of extremely limited structural value as it will flex around the end plates. Other than the seat support I see no reason not to remove it. If you're worried about structural integrity run a brace from that bar mount down to the plates that mount the rear of the seat box at each side.

SafeAirOne
12-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Looking at its design that bar is of extremely limited structural value as it will flex around the end plates. Other than the seat support I see no reason not to remove it.

Thanks--That's what I figured--I just needed someone to independently validate my thinking.

LaneRover
12-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks--That's what I figured--I just needed someone to independently validate my thinking.

I agree with the 'structural integrity' decision of the bar - but I would check to see if any new seats that you put in don't leave you with the same or less leg room.

Eric W S
12-17-2008, 09:59 AM
If your looking to remove it and add some structure, there is an aftermarket company making a bulkhead removal kit for RoW Defenders. Some RoW D's still had the bulkhead like a siers truck. The kit basically has you trim the bulkhead down and adds a bar like the NAS defenders.

I bet a local fab shop would be able to make this bar cheaply and stoutly and you should be able to tie it in fairly easy.

Kills two birds with one stone. Adds structure and looses the impediment to seat movement...

crankin
12-17-2008, 10:02 AM
You should be fine. But to make you feel even better about it....
A company in the UK called "Mudstuff" sells a kit for the center bulkhead removal and they do not put anything like a bar running across it.

Here is a link: http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Bulkhead_Removal_Bar.html

crankin
12-17-2008, 10:11 AM
If your looking to remove it and add some structure, there is an aftermarket company making a bulkhead removal kit for RoW Defenders. Some RoW D's still had the bulkhead like a siers truck. The kit basically has you trim the bulkhead down and adds a bar like the NAS defenders.

I bet a local fab shop would be able to make this bar cheaply and stoutly and you should be able to tie it in fairly easy.

Kills two birds with one stone. Adds structure and looses the impediment to seat movement...

3 minutes ahead of me...Eric had the same idea. :thumb-up:

Eric W S
12-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Mud Stuff! I forgot who made it! :thumb-up:

Dashface
12-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Great to know you don't need the bar - I was just about to put in some Defender seats and was wondering how that would work out :D

greenmeanie
12-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Ah, it may not be structurally necessary but it will so a great job of splitting the rear passengers into smaller, less dangerous pieces if you stop suddenly and they are not wearing their seat belts.

SafeAirOne
12-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Ah, it may not be structurally necessary but it will so a great job of splitting the rear passengers into smaller, less dangerous pieces if you stop suddenly and they are not wearing their seat belts.

It'll probably still do a good job on 'em with only lap belts (at least on mine).

LaneRover
12-20-2008, 06:32 AM
FWIW Before anyone buys one, you might want to find out why the website says it doesn't fit Series vehicles.

It may be a simple reason that doesn't matter to someone who doesn't mind a little work to make it fit. But it may be a bit more involved.

Brent

SafeAirOne
12-23-2008, 12:09 AM
FWIW Before anyone buys one, you might want to find out why the website says it doesn't fit Series vehicles.

I'm gererally more of a builder than a buyer. I didn't notice that bit about "not for series." Is it my imagination or do NAS D90s use a bar that dips down to the seat box and not a bulkhead?

Eric W S
12-23-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm gererally more of a builder than a buyer. I didn't notice that bit about "not for series." Is it my imagination or do NAS D90s use a bar that dips down to the seat box and not a bulkhead?

Nope. That's the case. Ties to the inner hoop. Some UK spec rovers had this feature as well as the Japanese 90s.

Eric W S
12-23-2008, 07:48 AM

It may be a simple reason that doesn't matter to someone who doesn't mind a little work to make it fit. But it may be a bit more involved.

Brent

90's are wider if my memory serves me right. No spare tire holder in there as well.

crankin
12-23-2008, 08:19 AM
I basically posted about Mudstuff to let SafeAirOne see that the bar running behind the seats really does not really have to be there and used them as example showing that it can be removed.

SafeAirOne
12-24-2008, 09:40 AM
I basically posted about Mudstuff to let SafeAirOne see that the bar running behind the seats really does not really have to be there and used them as example showing that it can be removed.

That's what I figured...Although the way they modified the bulkhead on the MudStuff site, it seems as if they try to retain some of the former bulkhead's structural properties.

msggunny
12-29-2008, 10:53 AM
You want to use that in a 109?

That bulkhead removal bar is for a 90 not 110.

Just so you dont get too excited...

SafeAirOne
12-29-2008, 12:09 PM
You want to use that in a 109?

That bulkhead removal bar is for a 90 not 110.

Just so you dont get too excited...

Yeah--I saw that. There's no bulkhead in that location in a 109 station wagon. The whole topic was too mundane to get me excited in the first place. I'll have to start posting more exciting things like "How do you put out a parking brake fire?" or "Cornering techniques when traveling at 105mph." :D

LaneRover
12-29-2008, 01:12 PM
"How do you put out a parking brake fire?" or "Cornering techniques when traveling at 105mph." :D

Basically the parking brake fire would be dealt with by heading for the lake that you are hurtling towards at great speed while desperately trying to stop. Now, if your parking brake is not on fire then desperately try to avoid the lake because that will make the brakes that are on your Rover as you fly down a really steep hill even more ineffective.

And we all know that it would be a really steep hill to get a Rover up to 105! In fact it may even entail a drop of some sort.