PDA

View Full Version : How much value does an overdrive add?

Jeff Ward
12-17-2008, 07:54 PM
If there were two identical Series III 88 Land Rovers, except one had overdrive, what price difference would you expect? Just wondering...

jp-
12-17-2008, 09:08 PM
$500 to $1200

Depending on the type of overdrive, miles driven, mechanical condition (does it make any noise?), etc...

Fairey probably being the least desireable, Roverdrive the most.

Jeff Ward
12-18-2008, 02:31 AM
Thanks jp. It is a Fairey unit, is quiet and seems to work well.

Jeff Aronson
12-18-2008, 08:23 AM
It's worth the extra money if you plan on doing a lot of highway driving. The overdrive is a nice feature at 65-70 mph. I have one II-A with an overdrive [Fairey] and one without. When both are in use for work here on this island, the overdrive makes no difference.

At 45-60 mph, the overdrive helps because it lets you accelerate in 3rd overdrive right up to 60; entering a highway from an exit, or moving up a hill, becomes easier.

Otherwise, it's not really worth the extra complexity. I'm glad I have it but I can go weeks between using it at lower speeds and on trails. In the other Rover, I really don't miss it at all.

Jeff

scott
12-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks jp. It is a Fairey unit, is quiet and seems to work well.

if it's quiet it probably ain't working :D i have a fairey and like it. it get's out of town and to the dirt faster. i've done a few long (500+) trips and it's great. my only regret is that ya can't have it and a pto too.

adkrover
12-18-2008, 07:54 PM
I agree, if it's quiet, it's either not working or you have a blessed miracle and it's well worth a little extra money. I think you should just consider what a high ratio transfer case, diff swap or new Fairey would cost. I have a "new" Fairey that is loud so if yours is quiet, you got lucky and it's well worth the extra cash. If you ever drive a Rover on pavement you'll be glad you have it. Assuming the steering is tight enough to keep it going in a more or less straight line at speed.

Jeff Ward
12-19-2008, 04:11 AM
I agree, if it's quiet, it's either not working .......

It is definitely working and engages and releases easily. The lack of noise is probably on the user end- my wife kept telling me to wear ear plugs while running the chain saw....what was that? I'm sorry, I can't hear you...

49coe
12-19-2008, 06:29 AM
Mine is quiet as well and it works, so I guess it is just luck of the draw.

Eric W S
12-19-2008, 08:44 AM
$500 to $1200

Fairey probably being the least desireable, Roverdrive the most.

I think it's the other way around. George never has ceased selling the Fairey and parts are always available. The Roverdrive is almost a libility if you need parts or actually want to buy one...

BackInA88
12-19-2008, 09:14 AM
I got lucky as well, mine is quiet!!:thumb-up:

Steve

I Leak Oil
12-19-2008, 09:20 AM
I think it's the other way around. George never has ceased selling the Fairey and parts are always available. The Roverdrive is almost a libility if you need parts or actually want to buy one...

I would agree that the Fairy/Superwinch is by far the most realistic O.D. on the market as far as product and parts availability. Plus George is always making fun of us northerners so the communication is always an adventure!

I thought I read somewhere about Heystee Automotive producing a knockoff of the Santana O.D. which might be an alternative.

The Roverdrive sounds good and I've heard good reviews for the most part from those who managed to buy one but to be honest the fact that they were or have been out of production for so long would make me think twice about picking one up even if I could find one.

Jason T.

yorker
12-19-2008, 09:41 AM
I thought I read somewhere about Heystee Automotive producing a knockoff of the Santana O.D. which might be an alternative.

Jason T.
HST SuperDrive GLR120A
http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/5067

I Leak Oil
12-19-2008, 10:39 AM
HST SuperDrive GLR120A
http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/5067

Well there ya go! It's an alternative. I personally wouldn't want to buy one of the first production units but is certainly something to consider.
Jason T.

yorker
12-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Paul Heystee's new reproduction Santana overdrive seems like a lot of $ to me yet if all the tooling was in fact destroyed I'm not sure how he can afford to sell them even that cheap.

Years ago i remember a fellow who had somehow made one of those Laycock OD's work with his series, I always thought that was neat.

xsbowes
12-19-2008, 12:03 PM
http://www.heystee-automotive.com/parts/drvline/overdrive.htm

1250.00 Euro.

I drove one of the 3.4ltr Diesel's when I was stationed in Spain. Moved along pretty nicely. And used the same parts as the 4 cylinder diesel.

hueske
12-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Do I understand correctly, that you can't have a front PTO winch, if you have a Fairey OD fitted?

lstrvr
12-19-2008, 07:58 PM
It appears that the Roverdrive may have a larger future yet.

http://www.roverdrives.com/

I have had a Roverdrive installed on my truck for about 4 years and love it! Absolutely dead quiet and very smooth shifting. I have run it pretty hard behind a strong 3.0l turbo diesel and have had no issues. Actually we just returned from a trip to Alaska and I couldn't begin to even dream of ever doing a trip like that without one.

I live near the manafacturer and have spent a bit of time around there during the first few prototypes and from what I remember with regards to warranty problems, it was usually a result of low oil burning out bearings and syncros. fwiw

scott
12-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Do I understand correctly, that you can't have a front PTO winch, if you have a Fairey OD fitted?

the pto winch works by replacing the dog on the crank with linkage to the winch. the fairey and other od mount on the rear of the tranny wear a rear facing pto would go. i've heard that there's a hydraulic pump that mount there too that you run lines to the front to operate a hydraulicly operated snow plow.

KingSlug
12-20-2008, 01:56 AM
the pto winch works by replacing the dog on the crank with linkage to the winch. the fairey and other od mount on the rear of the tranny wear a rear facing pto would go. i've heard that there's a hydraulic pump that mount there too that you run lines to the front to operate a hydraulicly operated snow plow.

Actually there are PTO, crank and hydraulic driven winches. If you have a OD it usually mounts to the rear power takeoff, so you are limited to crank, engine driven hydraulic or underslung PTO or hydraulic. I dont know of a engine driven winch for rovers (but have seen a fabbed one) and the underslug PTO and hydraulics are rare (I have one not for sale), so you are left with an crank driven winch.

hueske
12-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks, that is what I thought. I have a couple of Keonigs that I'd like to get operational, but the Rover needs to be done first.

Leslie
12-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks, that is what I thought. I have a couple of Keonigs that I'd like to get operational, but the Rover needs to be done first.

Wouldn't happen to have any spare bits for Koenigs, would ya?

hueske
12-20-2008, 10:34 PM
To be honest, I'm not really sure if I have everything I need. I'm pretty sure that I'm missing the drive shaft. The other Keonig I picked up for spare parts, happens to be hydraulic, and larger than the PTO unit.

Leslie
12-20-2008, 10:52 PM
To be honest, I'm not really sure if I have everything I need. I'm pretty sure that I'm missing the drive shaft. The other Keonig I picked up for spare parts, happens to be hydraulic, and larger than the PTO unit.

Reason I asked.... I've got a Koenig for mine, but, it's got a problem. Know how the winch has the two halves bolted together that contain the worm gear and support the drum on one side? One of bolt holes in 1/2 of the aluminum case on mine has cracked. It could be welded, but would be easier/better to disassemble, and reassemble with another case-side. So, I'm looking for part of winch, not an entire one, so I can improve mine.

hueske
12-22-2008, 07:30 AM
I went and checked my spare and I'm not sure if it will work for you. It is a model 524, which has a 2 1/4" shaft, and is made of steel. If that would work, just let me know.