PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pipe Layout

JackIIA
12-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and was looking for some advice. I'm working on my first true frame off. As part of that I'm laying the new brake pipe lines (or about to). I've seen different layouts used (e.g., DAP, ECR) but can't get a clear full view of EXACTLY where they should run on the chassis. The green bible has not been particularly helpful on this point with a vague diagram that doesn't include reference to the chassis, nor a dual system which is what I have.

I've heard you need to be careful on placement of the pipes to avoid the possibility of the body pinching them or putting them too low on the chasis which might allow damage from road debris.

Is this all hype or a real concern? Any thoughts and pics of your own layout greatly appreciated.

Jack

TeriAnn
12-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and was looking for some advice. I'm working on my first true frame off. As part of that I'm laying the new brake pipe lines (or about to). I've seen different layouts used (e.g., DAP, ECR) but can't get a clear full view of EXACTLY where they should run on the chassis.
A lot depends upon if you want the layout to be factory stock or sensible for a LHD Land Rover.

The stock routing makes sense for a RHD rig but none at all for a LHD rig.

As a rule of thumb, all routing at frame level goes on top of the frame EXCEPT for the front left brake line. It is routed along the back of the bulkhead cross member. Otherwise it too sits on top of the frame.

Both front and rear lines go from the master cylinder along the bulkhead to where the RHD brake cylinder would be then down to the frame top.

The front line goes to a 3 way Tee.Front right brake line goes along the top of the frame to the front left brake mount tab on the frame. Front Left goes behind the under bulkhead cross member then along the top of the frame to the frame tab for the brake end.

The rear line goes along the top of the frame on the vehicle right aide to the tab just in front of the rear axle.

There will be a row of brake clamp holes along the frame to guide your routing.

daveb
12-18-2008, 08:11 AM
TerriAnn is correct except in the case of an NAS SIII, where the brake line for the left front goes around behind the front crossmember and below the radiator. It also passes below the left frame rail. The diagrams in the various parts books do not accurately represent the layout of the NAS 2 circuit system.

Is there anything left of your old lines? They are often helpful as patterns.

A lot depends upon if you want the layout to be factory stock or sensible for a LHD Land Rover.

The stock routing makes sense for a RHD rig but none at all for a LHD rig.

As a rule of thumb, all routing at frame level goes on top of the frame EXCEPT for the front left brake line. It is routed along the back of the bulkhead cross member. Otherwise it too sits on top of the frame.

Both front and rear lines go from the master cylinder along the bulkhead to where the RHD brake cylinder would be then down to the frame top.

The front line goes to a 3 way Tee.Front right brake line goes along the top of the frame to the front left brake mount tab on the frame. Front Left goes behind the under bulkhead cross member then along the top of the frame to the frame tab for the brake end.

The rear line goes along the top of the frame on the vehicle right aide to the tab just in front of the rear axle.

There will be a row of brake clamp holes along the frame to guide your routing.

SafeAirOne
12-18-2008, 09:39 AM
TerriAnn is correct except in the case of an NAS SIII, where the brake line for the left front goes around behind the front crossmember and below the radiator. It also passes below the left frame rail.

Same with my non-NAS, RHD, single-circuit SIII brakes.

JackIIA
12-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks all. TerriAnn, I will print this out as I take a look at my new frame to visual the route. (I did look for pre-drilled holes on the chassis awhile back, for the brake clamps, and did not see any). Perhaps they're filled with galv. I bought the frame thru RN. I can always call Arthur.

Dave - yes I had the same thought in terms of following my old brake lines. Right now, it's "frame-by-frame" as I work from one machine to the other. That said, the old frame is pretty much toast, with some damage to the lines (and probably some by me as I broke it down). I'll just have to take a closer look at the details, thru all the crude.

FYI, it's a late IIA (Dec '70) so I'm assuming the III references don't apply. Thanks to the 3 of you. Jack.

greenmeanie
12-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Jack,
I have a 71IIA. I'll be under there tomorrow as I'm using it as a reference for installing new lines to convert my NADA 109 to a dual circuit system. If you get stuck the PM me and I'll take pictures of the relevant areas.

JackIIA
12-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Hey Thanks GreenMeanie. I've been busy digging out of the snow (that, and a Patriots blowout of the Cardinals). If I get stuck I'll ping you though.