PDA

View Full Version : Wow. Got some history on my rover today...

NC Rover
12-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Finally got an email back from the previous owner. I had emailed him just to ask if he ever had a chance, to give me a little bit of background info on it and what modificatons he had done, where they were done etc. Whe nI bought it, he didn't even want to look at it due to a divorce and I believe it was a shared project. Either way, what I got back was completly unexpected. I lot more detail than I expected and a LOT more modifications than I realized! I had no idea about the internal engine work. See email below:

Nick,

No bother at all ... just caught me back from Barrow Alaska ... doing a little flying up there.

So glad that it turned out well for you. It is a fantastic car for sure, and you have made some good improvements.

The frame is an Arrow services frame sent from England via Steve Parker Landrovers, It was their first LHD frame. The Engine is a 2.5L 5 main bearing MILSPEC engine from Germany. Diffs and Axles are out of a Defender 90, the seats were redone in Tiajuana one weekend while I went on a surfing trip.

I bought the car from Pat Granahan of Glenview (Chicago Area) after seeing it while flying helicopters in and out of that airport ... it was painted camaflauge and looked like hell. He used it for parades and Boy Scout outings.

He bought it from the City of Winnetka where it was used in the arboredum as a grounds Truck, or so I remember him saying.

I did a frame off restoration in 1993-1994 at a cost of roughly 13,000.

Extra gas tank was custom fabricated.

Seat "pan" and rear floor was custom fabricated from T-6 aircraft aluminum.

Jacobs Ignition ... good stuff there and 11mm ignition wires / super coil.
Petronex ignition sensor in the distributor, You have the gears to replace the timing belt ... should give you an extra 4 horse power or so and tighter response.

The cylinder head is a Turner Engineering head from Steve Parker Land Rovers in U.K.

Oversized intake and exhaust valves, of hardeded steel.

The camshaft is a mild custom grind off of stock, slight phase shift with increased lift on the intake and exhaust sides.

Drive shafts are custom as well. You might want to take a look at potential clearance issues with the Old Man Emu springs as the angle and drop will change slightly with the taller springs.

It has been across the country 4 times with me, down to the Baja several dozen times, as High as Mosquito pass in Colorado, and as Low as Death Valley.

Best of luck with the Machine, looks great good to see it in that shape again.

Have a wonderful Holiday, and Best of luck with the Rover ... Enjoy!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Land%20Rover/New06.jpg

Bostonian1976
12-19-2008, 12:04 AM
very impressive! you got a great truck!

sven
12-19-2008, 07:25 AM
Thats pretty cool :thumb-up:

Eric W S
12-19-2008, 08:37 AM
That's the Winnetka Rover?

Wow, doesn't look anything like it used. I grew up on Chicago's North Shore and would run into that truck on occassion!

I think it was at several major scouting events as well....

EwS

NC Rover
12-19-2008, 10:09 AM
That's the Winnetka Rover?

Wow, doesn't look anything like it used. I grew up on Chicago's North Shore and would run into that truck on occassion!

I think it was at several major scouting events as well....

EwS

The P.O. told me he found some more rover parts and was boxing them up to ship to me. I'm excited to see what goodies head this way. I ordered a new 32/34 DMTL carb so I'm like a kid of christmas eve ..waiting ....

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Land%20Rover/IMG_7569.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Land%20Rover/IMG_0926.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Land%20Rover/IMG_6135.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Land%20Rover/IMG_0662.jpg

Jeff Aronson
12-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Great story on the history of the car. How fortunate that you have that information. The history is entertaining and knowing the componentry will be a big help should you need future repairs.

Arrow Services was the first company I ever noticed in the British magazines creating a coil sprung chassis for Series conversions. The Turner engines are highly regarded, too.

Congratulations on a great car, and thanks for sharing the information and the photos.

Jeff

Tim Smith
12-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Great story. Thanks!

NC Rover
12-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Great story on the history of the car. How fortunate that you have that information. The history is entertaining and knowing the componentry will be a big help should you need future repairs.

Arrow Services was the first company I ever noticed in the British magazines creating a coil sprung chassis for Series conversions. The Turner engines are highly regarded, too.

Congratulations on a great car, and thanks for sharing the information and the photos.

Jeff

Thanks! Not a problem. I thought it was funny that someone recognized it was a particular rover from Winnetka. I'm very thankful for being able to know some history on my rover as well as items that were modified. I've bought vehicles in the past where people would say they had not done anything to them, just to find out something was altered or already upgraded after you went through the trouble taking things apart to get to it.