PDA

View Full Version : swivel woes...

SGFMORover
12-19-2008, 01:41 AM
so... my 95 disco (190,000 mi); i know i have a bad top swivel pin bearing, and my swivel ball is pitted to the point it needs replaced while i'm at it. unfortunately not having a garage and living in an apartment in Colorado presently i'm in no position to rebuild my front end at the moment, not until a week of warm weather to melt some snow off the parking lot.

wheel shake is bad enough that the disco is dangerous to drive... last weekend it suddenly shook not just the steering but the whole rover so badly i pulled off the road to make sure i was alive and hadn't lost pieces.

so the question(s):

if i manage to remove enough shims to make it feel drivable am i putting myself in mortal danger? I know the swivel pins are really all that holds the wheel on.... will a bad bearing kill the pin (and therefore me)?

has anyone done this job? how much do the swivel pins wear, should i plan on replacing them too? and if you've done one, are the top and bottom swivel bearings the same? some catalogues say they are and some list a different part for the top.

help? thanks in advance ya'll

-Brett

SGFMORover
12-23-2008, 08:19 PM
seriously, nobody? come on now? surely somebody's done a swivel rebuild?:(

Hammer38
12-23-2008, 09:30 PM
seriously, nobody? come on now? surely somebody's done a swivel rebuild?:(

Did one years ago on a Disco I, but I couldn't begin to tell you what to do. I need replacemy swivel seals so I guess I'm gonna d/l that RAVE. Since it looks like I'm going back to work for a Rover dealer, I'll pass along any info I can find.

Les Parker
12-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Hello,

Attached is our catalogue page for the Discovery I swivel housing.
Not too bad a job, though you will need a spring balance to set the pre-load on the pins.
Call us for further info, if you need.

Merry Christmas to all,

:)

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-342-swivel-ball.aspx

SGFMORover
12-24-2008, 05:43 PM
oh no worries i always order my stuff from RN; just tryin to establish if i need the swivel pins or not...(and if i'm drivable in the mean time) oh well; guess i'll call durin hours next week.