PDA

View Full Version : 2004 versus earlier DIIs?

Sandglow
12-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Thinking of a DII. I would appreciate any thoughts on which year is the best choice. In particular, I'm interested in the off road differences between the '04s locking differential versus the earlier DIIs' traction control.

Thanks.

BackInA88
12-21-2008, 07:26 AM
04's have TC (update program I believe?) as well just does not have to work as hard with the CDL engaged..
They also have a 4.6 motor vs. the earlier 4.0.

99 thru early 01's should have the mechanical's in the t-case for the CDL (unless the t-case was replaced with a 02/03 unit that was built without.

I have an early 01 and added the ability to lock the CDL and it works great.
I wish I had the 4.6 as well but the 4.0 does OK.

Be careful of the 03's LR had some engines with bad dowels holes in the block for the oil pump mounting, and the t-case does not have the parts in it for the CDL. Of course if the engine was replaced under warranty you could always swap in a 04 t-case and shifter and be good to go!

Steve

Hammer38
12-21-2008, 09:22 AM
04's have TC (update program I believe?) as well just does not have to work as hard with the CDL engaged..
They also have a 4.6 motor vs. the earlier 4.0.

99 thru early 01's should have the mechanical's in the t-case for the CDL (unless the t-case was replaced with a 02/03 unit that was built without.

I have an early 01 and added the ability to lock the CDL and it works great.
I wish I had the 4.6 as well but the 4.0 does OK.

Be careful of the 03's LR had some engines with bad dowels holes in the block for the oil pump mounting, and the t-case does not have the parts in it for the CDL. Of course if the engine was replaced under warranty you could always swap in a 04 t-case and shifter and be good to go!

Steve

If those engines didn't blow up within 15K, they should be ok. And that affected the 04's as well.

LndRvrUS
01-11-2009, 10:38 AM
I've got an 01 DII with 75k and have no plans of getting rid of it anytime soon (unless some schlepp wants to trade for D90). Only issues I've had to date are front drive shaft u-joints going bad due to AC water dripping onto it (I've been told this is a common problem unless you greese them every 5k) and just had to have a new steering gearbox installed. Fortunately, rig is still under an extended warranty with another 10k left on it. Like others, I wish I had the power of the 4.6 but the 4.0 works fine for my needs.

JimKellyfan
02-23-2009, 07:18 PM
I bought the 99 Disco II just for the sole reason of reliability issues.
This is the last year they were owned by BMW.
I like the versatility that the Disco II brings with it and actually wish I went with my first love the unreliable Range Rover County LWB.
I have owned my Disco II ( pictured in my avatar ) since 2007 and have no major issues, only repaired it's leaks. Check out the wikkipedia website.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land-Rover
It depends on what you are getting a Rover for as to which one you get. It also depends on how fat that wallet of yours is as well. The Disco II is a fine choice for multipurpose with wife comfort in mind.
Mine's for sale.....It's on the appropriate forum and price is negotiable...The wife wants a Mustang convertible.... If I get her that, then I can seek either a Defender or my beloved county LWB, the county more capable within my budget...

stu454
03-08-2009, 08:36 PM
FWIW, I love my '01 D2 that I've named 'Sherpa'. We've been all over the U.S. together and I plan to have it with me as long as I'm able.

That being said, if Sherpa was totaled, I'd likely get an '04 D2 and not look back.

El hefe de Bombaros
03-08-2009, 11:05 PM
I've got an 01 DII with 75k and have no plans of getting rid of it anytime soon (unless some schlepp wants to trade for D90). Only issues I've had to date are front drive shaft u-joints going bad due to AC water dripping onto it (I've been told this is a common problem unless you greese them every 5k) and just had to have a new steering gearbox installed. Fortunately, rig is still under an extended warranty with another 10k left on it. Like others, I wish I had the power of the 4.6 but the 4.0 works fine for my needs.

I've got a 2000 DII with 80K miles and just finished rebuilding my front propeller shaft about three hours ago (that's a drive shaft to you Yanks). The #2 joint went bad with evidence of AC drippage (rust) being the cause. With my 2000 only having a zert on the forward most u-joint, lubing the two rear u-joints couldn't be done (wierd they didn't have zerts as all three joints are otherwise the same). Hence, no lube = joint failure. New ones all have zerts. The center section bearing and cup were still in very good shape so just cleaned and re-greased it. Still, 80K isn't too bad an OE joint. BTW, aftermarket joints only run about $10.00 compared to the OE replacements at $70.00 each. Now there is a little Japan in my Brit-mobile.

GypsyRover
03-12-2009, 07:06 PM
I have a '99 that's just breaking in with 163,300. I have done a few of what many call the regular stuff for a DII. Such as the front prop, I was leaking AC water until I cleared the blockage (same time the front prop was replaced). I had to do a head gasket, but I truly believe that was caused by an inept mechanic. He replaced my wires and on the way home I had a huge smoke show because of a dissconnected hose. I have changed the brakes twice since getting it @ 76K (pads & rotors). They are pretty easy to do. I used the Pro Lines and it has worked pretty well for me. I got about 60K from the first change. One shock went, or I should say was going. I replaced the 4 with OMEs. Tommorrow I am putting in OME hd springs. The motor still runs strong and many people can't believe it is 10 years old. Mechanics have said it should keep going and one told of an owner who has over 275K as of 2 years ago. I hope to keep this for my son to drive to highschool. He's almost 9 now. Is that the audacity of hope?
I also have an '01, but it just doesn't seem as good as the '99. Not exactly sure why, it just has an intangible feeling of inferiority. That's the one my wife drives. All in all, it has been OK. This one has about 98K.