PDA

View Full Version : Block heater Install help

vkjar
12-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Like everything hindsight is 20/20 and after two weeks of -35C I have decided to install the block heater I picked up two months ago for my 2a. Now with two feet of snow on the ground I have to crawl under it to install it.

This is the block heater I have. I am trying to locate where it goes. I was told it goes at the back of the block under the Manifold. There seems to be to plugs in the block one forward and one to the rear. Do I have to pry the rear one out to install it.

Any insite or photos would be of great help so that I may spend as little time in the snow drift as possible.

Thanks

scott
12-25-2008, 09:01 PM
this was easy cuz i am lazy. got the motor back two weeks ago and the furthest i got was putting it on a stand. i'm guessing this is the port you might want.

Les Parker
12-29-2008, 03:29 PM
To the best of my knowledge, the block heater replaces the centre core plug.
Giving the warmth to the centre of the engine.

:)

scott
12-29-2008, 07:51 PM
my engine only as that one port that's threaded. i've a 64 iia swb but the ser# says my block was once in a 68 109 domestic. i can't see where else. i have a aftermarket heat that is spliced into the lower radiator hose

s3landy
12-30-2008, 06:24 AM
Scott is right. If the heater is threaded, it goes at the rear of the block under the manifold on the driver's side.

Mike

Moose
12-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Not all 2.25 blocks have the threaded port for the block heater. The original engine in my Series 3 had one (which I used) while the Ex-Mod 5-bearing engine in the truck now doesn't.

Find one that will replace a freeze plug, or go with the lower rad hose heater. The hose heaters work very well and mine has been used in anger at -35F.

Brett

scott
12-30-2008, 09:49 AM
... mine has been used in anger at -35F.

Brett

moose, why would anyone live where it get's to -35?!

Moose
12-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Yep, living in those kind of temps is an aquired taste for sure. My family all lives up north so I only have to visit -35 two or three times a winter. ;-)

Brett

vkjar
01-01-2009, 08:24 PM
-35! I work outside in that all winter, when you talk -55 and below now thats when it becomes interesting. When only a parachute and a herman nelson will get things moving again.

ahhh working in the northern bush of Canada in the winter you just gotta love it.........No bugs!!!..........:D

Thanks for the imput