PDA

View Full Version : Front wing panel

ML-ENGR
12-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Well Santa didn’t listen, or is having as much trouble locating this as I am.
Im am looking for a RH front wing panel for a 63 IIa, Id like to buy just the front panel if possible, but will take the entire wing if necessary. I would need shipping to 93546. I’ve spoken to a few of the usual suspects with little success.

Any leads appreciated

-Thanks

Eric W S
12-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Well Santa didn’t listen, or is having as much trouble locating this as I am.
Im am looking for a RH front wing panel for a 63 IIa, Id like to buy just the front panel if possible, but will take the entire wing if necessary. I would need shipping to 93546. I’ve spoken to a few of the usual suspects with little success.

Any leads appreciated

-Thanks

They don't make the front panel anymore. Nor do they make early series wings either.

Unfortunately, wings are in demand and are not readily available. Took me months to get mine. Marc at www.singingcamel.com hooked me up with his last set.

I'd call Les at RN and see if he can source you one. If he can't call Ike at www.pangolin4x4.com. He should be able to source you a decent used wing.

Good luck :thumb-up:

EwS

Donnie
12-28-2008, 05:13 PM
They don't make the front panel anymore. Nor do they make early series wings either.

Unfortunately, wings are in demand and are not readily available. Took me months to get mine. Marc at www.singingcamel.com hooked me up with his last set.

I'd call Les at RN and see if he can source you one. If he can't call Ike at www.pangolin4x4.com. He should be able to source you a decent used wing.

Good luck :thumb-up:

EwS
What would be the going rate for a good wing these days?

Terrys
12-28-2008, 05:30 PM
George at RDS gets them occassionally, but unless you find a RH skin from the UK, it's going to have a heater vent hole in it. He has a full LH wing right now, but he ain't giving it away.

Donnie
12-28-2008, 06:10 PM
George at RDS gets them occassionally, but unless you find a RH skin from the UK, it's going to have a heater vent hole in it. He has a full LH wing right now, but he ain't giving it away.
????????????????????????????????????????????????/

Eric W S
12-28-2008, 07:00 PM
What would be the going rate for a good wing these days?

The wing itself should run around 150-200. Shipping is going to be REAL expensive.

Compounding pricing is that good straight wing is pretty scarce these days. Took me at least 3 months of calling around to even locate some. A lot of folks just don't want to sell them.

ML-ENGR
12-28-2008, 11:28 PM
I have found the same thing, some people have them and wont sell them...:(

Eric W S
12-29-2008, 08:54 AM
????????????????????????????????????????????????/

It's for a later model series. The earlier series generally didn't have heater holes in the skin.

Daurie
12-29-2008, 04:38 PM

I just got 2 wings from George! nice shape series 3 with headlights and marker lights for $250. I also got ALOT of other stuff including a SWB tub and a roof top with alpine windows sunsheet and vents. I think 250 for a SET of S3 wings in the shape mine are is good! Of course I wen't down with a friend, a list, a F350 and a 14' enclosed trailer too.. Anything big you're best trying to get there in person. George literally gave us a set of door tops, 2 S2 windscreens with good glass and some other small stuff. It's was sickening to hear what he throws away. I asked about an older air cleaner assy. with the intake to accomodate a snorkel hose... "Oh man you're a week late I just thew two of those away!" :eek: And guess what pile the tub I brought home was in... and it's in fantastic shape.

Donnie
12-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I just got 2 wings from George! nice shape series 3 with headlights and marker lights for $250. I also got ALOT of other stuff including a SWB tub and a roof top with alpine windows sunsheet and vents. I think 250 for a SET of S3 wings in the shape mine are is good! Of course I wen't down with a friend, a list, a F350 and a 14' enclosed trailer too.. Anything big you're best trying to get there in person. George literally gave us a set of door tops, 2 S2 windscreens with good glass and some other small stuff. It's was sickening to hear what he throws away. I asked about an older air cleaner assy. with the intake to accomodate a snorkel hose... "Oh man you're a week late I just thew two of those away!" :eek: And guess what pile the tub I brought home was in... and it's in fantastic shape.
I don't know this George person, but I am at a loss as to why he would throw good things away, Is he OK? Old? Ill?
Gets pleasure out of trashing things that others need, no space? Lost interest, family problems? Any one want to explain this one to me... I know a guy, smile, who hangs on to everything, but to trash good parts, especially parts that others need???????????

Eric W S
12-29-2008, 06:34 PM
I don't know this George person, but I am at a loss as to why he would throw good things away, Is he OK? Old? Ill?
Gets pleasure out of trashing things that others need, no space? Lost interest, family problems? Any one want to explain this one to me... I know a guy, smile, who hangs on to everything, but to trash good parts, especially parts that others need???????????

"I am not running a rover junk yard" - George.

He's a vendor. He sells new parts. That's what he wants to do.

If your a good customer, he'll go out of his way for you.

SafeAirOne
12-29-2008, 07:40 PM
It's was sickening to hear what he throws away. I asked about an older air cleaner assy. with the intake to accomodate a snorkel hose... "Oh man you're a week late I just thew two of those away!" :eek: And guess what pile the tub I brought home was in... and it's in fantastic shape.

For everyone now interested in becoming a trash collecter in New Orleans, here's the site of the company that works that particular neighborhood, though it would appear that there are no openings at this time:

http://www.richardsdisposal.com/ ;)

Daurie
12-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Another big factor is hes moving from New Orleans to Gulfport. I too was shocked to hear of the things he got rid of but I also understand you can't hang on to everything forever.. Most of the things he has to get rid of he's had on the shelf for a while. It's all about being at the right place at the right time. Almost NEVER happens for me.. LOL :rolleyes:

mechman
12-29-2008, 10:51 PM
I recall that George got smacked pretty hard by Katrina. If I remember right, his shop was under some serious water from Lake Ponchartrain. I've been out of the Rover repair biz for a few years - I'm rather surprised that he reopened at all.

Mech

Eric W S
12-30-2008, 08:31 AM
I recall that George got smacked pretty hard by Katrina. If I remember right, his shop was under some serious water from Lake Ponchartrain. I've been out of the Rover repair biz for a few years - I'm rather surprised that he reopened at all.

Mech

George has an offsite warehouse outside of the flood zone...

Can you imagine George not doing what he is doing? Naw.

EwS

mechman
12-30-2008, 10:52 AM
George has an offsite warehouse outside of the flood zone...

Can you imagine George not doing what he is doing? Naw.

EwS

Good point!

I last talked to him just as the remnants of Katrina were dumping serious water on Philly . I needed a rebuilt transfer case for an '02 Rangie HSE (or it was right around an '02, I don't remember), and he was the only one who was rebuilding them at the time. He told me he was going to walk away from the mess (no flood insurance) and retire to Florida (where they don't have hurricanes, y'know). :D

I'm glad to hear he's still in business. He was always good for that impossible-to-find part that was keeping the customer's truck from running right. Not to mention occasional pithy advice. I'm sure I'll be calling him sooner or later for bits for my rig. :)

Mech

Donnie
12-30-2008, 05:42 PM
"I am not running a rover junk yard" - George.

He's a vendor. He sells new parts. That's what he wants to do.

If your a good customer, he'll go out of his way for you.
I guess I 've gotten everyone pissed off now...........
I DIDN'T know he was a vendor, that he sold NEW parts.
The previous posts led me to think that he was just a Rover Rider that had a set of nice wings for sale & and a few xtra parts........Sorry if I offended anyone...just did not know...

mechman
12-30-2008, 06:09 PM
I guess I 've gotten everyone pissed off now...........
I DIDN'T know he was a vendor, that he sold NEW parts.
The previous posts led me to think that he was just a Rover Rider that had a set of nice wings for sale & and a few xtra parts........Sorry if I offended anyone...just did not know...

Heh, I'M not PO'ed, and I don't think it was mentioned specifically that he's a vendor. Lots of us happen to have dealt with him, or know him pretty well. You have to know George to understand. He can be somewhat... crusty... with folks who don't know what they're talking about, or who call and waste his time. If he knows that you know what you want and what you're about, he'll usually bend over backwards to help you. His company is Rovers Down South - give him a call if you can't find what you need from our gracious hosts.

Mech