PDA

View Full Version : Warning Lights On - Code 1590

KeizerRover
12-28-2008, 09:34 AM
2000 Discovery II, 101,000 miles

We took a Christmas trip about 150 miles away from home and the vehicle ran fine. Got to our destination after driving through lots of snow, slush, and ice without any problems. Took the rig out to go to the store and as I was pulling into the hotel, the ABS, TC, and HDC lights on came on in amber and have stayed on. The ODB code said it was #1590.

I talked with someone who said they thought it could simply be too much snow packed around stuff underneath the car. There was indeed about 3-4" of snow/ice packed in the wheel wells, which I cleaned out.

The rig seems to function fine. The brakes work, and the ABS seems to work when we hit a bit of ice on the way home.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be and how and what to check? Also, how does one go about clearing these codes? My code checker doesn't seem to do the trick.

Thanks.

detroitdozer
12-28-2008, 10:15 AM
I have a 99 Disco II and have been dealing with the 3 "amigo" lights for some time. Most of the time they will reset themselves when you turn the car on and off and I have done some playing with what still works when they are lit....my ABS seems to function but not the traction control which seems to be the culprit when they all come on. I understand that using anything other than factory Land Rover pads and rotors will cause issues with this but when my light come on and stay on due to a "hard" fault it refers to the ABS Shuttle valve which is part of the ABS pump/modulator which is a $2300 part. We live in Arizona so it is generally not an issue but we travel to snowy locations and I like to know I have working ABS and TC. I am curious to see any other advise or thoughts relating to this problem.

Wally'sRover
01-19-2009, 07:25 PM
I have had the same problem with my Discovery. I have a 01 with about 86,000miles. Once I took it to land rover shop in portland and the guys fixed it by resetting the sensor. Something like the computer wasn't talking to the sensor. I am not sure what sensor he reset, but he told me I may have to replace it if it happens again. About 3 months later the same three lights turned on. Is there a traction control sensor? I think I will have to take it back to the shop.

spacemutt
02-15-2009, 05:03 AM
ABS sensor is a common problem. You might be lucky and find it just needs re-positioned in it's holder. You will need to clear the faults from the system properly before you can tell if it's cured it.

If not then you will need to replace the sensor. This is not as easy as you think. Land Rover has modified the wiring loom from the sensor to the ECU. It is not longer split with a plug so to replace it you need to run the wire on the new sensor all the way to the ECU under the steering column and solder it in place. Any joins in the wire will give a false reading and cause the lights to come on.

spacemutt
02-15-2009, 05:04 AM
p.s. SSW500020 I think is the part number.