PDA

View Full Version : Shipping 109

n6zt
12-29-2008, 05:51 PM
I need to ship a 109 from Seattle to Reno. Anyone know of a reasonable transport company?
Jim

czenkov
12-29-2008, 06:20 PM
I used Bullseye once and was satisfied. 1-877-216-6683

dansalisbury72
12-30-2008, 07:28 AM
Not anywhere near where you need to move your truck, but here was my one and only car moving experience:
I moved my 109 from TN to NC this past summer and got quotes ranging from $299 all the way up to $1500. I went with the $299 company (Phoenix Auto Transport jim@phoenixautotransport.com (jim@phoenixautotransport.com)), and was completely satisfied. From my research prior to making the move, all of the companies that I got quotes from pretty much all had the same criteria/requirements for the car movers that they have on contract, so I didn't see the need to pay an extra $1200 for the top dollar company when they both had the same insurance to cover my truck in the case that it was damaged enroute (it wasn't damaged at all). Oh, and I was also warned from the top dollar companies that my truck would sit forever waiting for a driver if I went with the low ball company, but my truck was picked up and delivered within a week of booking Phoenix Auto, so I don't think that was too bad.
hope that helps...

Dan in NC

Tim Smith
12-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Never tried them but have noticed www.uship.com (http://www.uship.com/) and wondered if it might be any good.

Good luck.

zayante
12-30-2008, 10:01 AM
FWIW...A lot of trucking companies/owner-operators/brokers don't have any idea what a 109 is, and you may have to refer to something more current (Defender 110) or provide pictures and dimensions. Even then, the information might not be accurately communicated to the driver. Also, height matters. I had a rack, which dictated where on the truck it had to be loaded (underpass and trailer clearance.)

mechman
12-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Also FWIW... Running and stopping condition matter, too. If they have to winch it on or it doesn't have working brakes (and hand brake), they have to use "special equipment" and load it so it won't have to come off until the end, and just about everyone charges a premium for that. Some companies won't touch it at all if they can't hop in and drive it.

Mech

east high
12-30-2008, 01:03 PM
I used http://monstarautotransport.com/ to ship my 88 from Colorado to Oregon last winter. It was a great price, the service was quick and was door to door. I don't know how other companies do things, but these guys contract with independents to do their shipping.

Like someone else further up the thread said, it would be a rare day if the operator knew what a 109 land rover is. Just tell them it's like a small truck (Ford Ranger) and they'll figure the rest out. I told them it was like a Jeep when I had mine shipped.

bmohan55
12-31-2008, 09:10 AM
Do you have any connections with "normal" trucking companies? Many vans are running empty and would not mind putting a vehicle inside to pay for fuel. I've moved 2 vehicles that way. The only additional cost is hiring a roll-off to lift your truck up to and down from the van.