PDA

View Full Version : Need help with battery choice!

Rosie
12-30-2008, 01:27 PM
I need a new battery for my 67 series. Anything I should know, or just any battery will do? What is the best size and volts and all that, and brand...?
Thanks!

Terrys
12-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Any good Group 24, 12 volt battery. Don't waste your money on a spiral cell, overkill in a series truck. Interstate is a brand often sold at gas stations, and they are good batteries.

Mike Koch
12-30-2008, 02:48 PM
I have always run Interstate batteries in all my Land Rovers.

SafeAirOne
12-30-2008, 02:50 PM
The more cold cranking amps, the better (and more expensive). Make sure you get a battery that will physically fit inside the tray and, more importantly, will fit the the metal frame that holds the battery down, and isn't too tall to use the original threaded hold-down rods.

Last time I bought a battery, I was rushing so I wouldn't be late for work and ended up with a too-tall battery to use the original hold-down rods. :(

JimCT
12-30-2008, 03:01 PM
sealed AGM, either spiral or not will not leak acid on their side or upside down. It happens.

Donnie
12-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Any good Group 24, 12 volt battery. Don't waste your money on a spiral cell, overkill in a series truck. Interstate is a brand often sold at gas stations, and they are good batteries.
I agree with Terry, They are sold everywhere, they honor their warranty, & if U R stuck in Punkin Junction, a phone call will find a dealer...O yea, buy their top of the line..not pricey either.........

Rosie
12-31-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks so much!!!:)

zayante
12-31-2008, 10:53 AM
If you have an electric winch or are planning to get one, you should match cold cranking amps to the listed requirement of the winch. For example, Warn recommends a 650 CCA battery for an M8274-50 winch.

scott
12-31-2008, 04:33 PM
i have optimas or is that optimi (dbl bat) they work in any position so i'll be able to listen to the radio even after the roll over

mechman
12-31-2008, 05:28 PM
How much time to do spend offroad? Or on the roof? If you are a moderate to heavy offroader (mud but maybe not Moab), consider a heavy duty battery (thicker plates, less chance of dropping one and shorting the battery) or a spiral Optima type battery if you spend time (or plan to spend time) with the rubber side of your truck in the air. Otherwise, as the consensus has it, just about any Group 24 lump with enough CCA's to get the job done will do.

I like Interstates, too. Lots of back country garages carry them, which is perfect for field warranty replacements. :)

Mech

greenmeanie
01-02-2009, 05:44 PM
If you should happen to live somewhere hot then you should also consider reserve capacity for the battery. As the name suggests CCA are more important for cold weather use.