PDA

View Full Version : Wire Gauge??

SafeAirOne
01-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Anyone know if there is a list of the wire gauges used for the different components/circuits on Series rovers?

Example: The wire going between the choke warning light and the choke switch is white with a blue tracer and is ____ gauge.

I'm not so concerned with the colors, but rather the wire size, since the same color wire is use in different gauges for different functions (the white wires are a good expample of this).

alaskajosh
01-01-2009, 01:28 PM
I see what you're getting at.. but why not just go "plenty big" (as big as the biggest LR used in there) and stay with a common size? That way you're not having to buy half-a-dozen spools of different gauges to do your job.
And never have to wonder if the Lucas engineers that you're copying even used an appropriate size there to begin with.

I'm no expert. If I'm wrong here let me know!

Kind regards, Josh

gudjeon
01-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I used 14 gauge multi-stranded automotive wire for the making of my harness. Used it on everything except battery and alternator charging wire. No probs 4 years on now.:thumb-up:

SafeAirOne
01-01-2009, 06:56 PM
I see what you're getting at.. but why not just go "plenty big" (as big as the biggest LR used in there) and stay with a common size? That way you're not having to buy half-a-dozen spools of different gauges to do your job.

There may be an electrically correct answer, but I don't know it. My personal answer is that I want to stay as faithful to the original as possible while correcting obvious deficiencies or making the improvements that I desire.

I think it'll be easy to determine which correct wire size to use after all--I've poked around and found out that they only used three wire sizes in Rovers. Not to oversimplify it, but they are: Thin, Medium and Thick. All three sizes are available in all the factory colors.

Knowing what each circuit is for, and now knowing that there are only 3 sizes to choose from, I can probably guess with decent accuracy the appropriate wire size for each circuit. Should be easy to visually confirm my guesses too.

Oscar
01-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Don't know the sizes, but do know that if and when I rewire a Rover I will be using marine grade tinned wire.

SafeAirOne
01-01-2009, 10:06 PM
I think it'll be easy to determine which correct wire size to use after all--I've poked around and found out that they only used three wire sizes in Rovers.

Maybe I ought to poke around some more--I think I misread it. I think this particular vendor only sells the wire in the 3 sizes...:confused:

Jim-ME
01-02-2009, 03:31 AM
I am no expert but the heavier gauge wire actually has less resistance to current flow. Once it warms up a little I am going to rewire my headlights adding relays. I'm going to use 10 ga. wire from the battery to the new fuse block. 14 ga. from the fuse block to the relays and relays to the headlights.
Jim

jp-
01-02-2009, 12:29 PM
I generally like 12 gauge, but 14 would work fine. Where you run into trouble is if you don't make sure that you have great connections when putting everything back. I soldered all my bullet connectors on and greased them. I don't like crimp connectors because they can eventually corrode on the inside and your resistance will begin to go up and up until the wire burns, unless you add fuses to all the circuits (which isn't a bad idea anyway).

Bottom line is that new wiring will last for a while anyway, probably even 16 gauge. What makes it really last is the quality of the connections.

Oscar
01-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Although marine related, there is some really good information on connectors, terminals and crimping here:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/wire_termination

I have extensive experience with the marine environment and will attest to the fact that if you wire your Rover to the above standards, it will will make an angel out of the prince of darkness.