PDA

View Full Version : Rover Project

Pete
01-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Thought I would share a Rover Project I took in to the shop. This truck was imported from overseas and sold to the current owner. I think we all know how that goes. It has been sitting for several years and now he wants it back on the road again. He is not looking for a "show truck" just a solid reliable truck to be driven on and off road. I have put together some pics of the project and will try to keep it updated as I go.

http://picasaweb.google.com/wyngro/RoverAlbum#

Bostonian1976
01-01-2009, 01:13 PM
lookin good! where'd the new frame come from?

4flattires
01-01-2009, 01:49 PM
...gives me motivation to work on mine on this first day of January.

Jeff

jac04
01-01-2009, 02:04 PM
It's good to see someone else having as much fun as I am. What do you think of the black Eastwood Rust Encapsulator? Are you using it on new parts, or just over rusted parts? I was going to use it on my project, but decided to sandblast everything to bare metal before priming & painting.

mechman
01-01-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm half afraid that's what I'm going to find when I pull apart mine. :/ That's an ambitious project - nice work so far, and good luck with the rest!

Mech

*Edit: Oh yeah, love the shot of the sediment bowl. Reminds me of Christmas at the Rover shop - someone brought in a bottle of fine Scotch, but we didn't have shot glasses, and you can't drink single malt from the bottle, it's against the law. Somewhere. I had a brainstorm, and you can guess the rest. :D

Pete
01-01-2009, 03:15 PM
The frame is one I have had for several years waiting for my own truck. The person I am doing this truck for is going to replace this as I will build my truck when I am done with this one.

I really like the rust encapsulator. It goes on very easy and seems to give a very good protective coat. I have been usuing two coats on everything. And I have been using it on both new metal and old.

ML-ENGR
01-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Looks Good. What color did you paint the engine?

Oscar
01-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Was the engine in running shape? Or did we miss the rebuild part?

Pete
01-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Hey Mech....good thinking on the shot glass, especially if you had some clean ones kicking around the shop. Or ones such as this that has been sitting for years and already has a collection of water in it.

I did not rebuild the engine as when I saw the truck last it was running and ran excellent. Based on this I am not doing anything to it until I get it running again and will adress any issues at that time. As for now I am cleaning and replacing some gaskets etc.

I used Chrysler blue for the engine. It's a very close color to the Rover Marine blue.