PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System Ground for Quantity Sensor

kmcrofton
01-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Hopefully someone with more wisdom than I can quickly answer this question....

I took off the fuel tank last weekend and I finally got around to testing the tank today. The quantity sensor is no longer working.

I took it apart and cleaned out the insides with no luck. It seems to work intermittently in some positions on the tank, and the best I can tell it works when the box that covers the insides is touching the rim of the hole in the top of the tank. So it seems like the sensor is not properly grounded.

Is there something that I am missing here. I can't get it to work when it is screwed in properly, but it works when positioned above.

I just replaced the gasket with a new one from RN, but it also will not work with no gasket currently.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

SafeAirOne
01-01-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure what type rover you have or what type sender. It sounds as if you have the type of sender that is fixed with fasterners, and NOT the type with the locking ring with cams.

If so, I'm not sure how yours grounds (I've got the cam-type), but it is probably grounded by a fastener making contact with the top surface of the sender, grounding it through the tank itself which, hopefully, is well grounded to the chassis.

If it were me, I'd take some sandpaper to the top of the sender where the fastener holes are and use new hardware (or at least clean up the contact surfaces of the hardware).

Out of curiosity, was there a ground wire that was sandwiched between one of the fasteners and the sender that you forgot to reinstall? Please forgive the question--I have a different, two-wire sender on my SIII. If cleaning it up doesn't work, I'd just put a wire between one of the fasteners and a good chassis ground and be done with it.

Also, the components on the variable resistor part of the sender often corrode, giving erratic readings.

kmcrofton
01-01-2009, 09:37 PM
It was the fasteners. Forgot to include this is for a 72 SIII with the fastener type sender unit.

I cleaned it up a bit tonight, but will take some degreaser/deruster to it over the weekend.

Getting it ready to drive from GA-SC in the morning, and hopefully this is all the Rover gods will test me with.

Kevin

thixon
01-01-2009, 09:50 PM
KMCroften,

Where are you located? You mentioned GA-SC in your last post. Are you anywhere near augusta?

Tim Smith
01-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Of all the places to run out of gas, Georgia has one of my fondest memories.

After running out somewhere in the middle of GA, a local stopped and offered to give me a lift to the next station. After filling up a new gas can, he offered to give a lift back to the truck again. Awesome!

Back up onto 95 where he then illegally crossed the median at about 30 mph just so he could drop me off right at the truck. After all was said and done, I offered him some cash for his time and he wanted nothing to do with it. What a cool guy!

If you have to choose a state to run out of fuel in, I highly advise Georgia.
:p

kmcrofton
01-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Travis,

I'm located in Sumter, SC. Trip complete, all the way from Las Vegas to Sumter, SC. Long, loud drive, but a trip that I will never forget.