PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding 16" Wheels

K Madigan
01-02-2009, 04:15 PM
It looks like Santa has come through with a chance to purchase some 16" wheels. My understanding is they come painted black? how are most folks painting them? themselves or take it to a body shop? How do I get the correct shade of limestone paint?

Any suggestions where to take them to have them painted in the Concord NH area??

Thanks

yorker
01-02-2009, 04:39 PM
I think most people leave them black or paint them at home. People usually buy Rustoleum Almond, I suppose there are better paints out there but it hs been the standby for years:
http://downthehall.org/RoverWeb/lro/Year-1998/980628.html#11

TedW
01-02-2009, 04:58 PM
I got my limestone paint from them. DuPont Centauri enamel custom-mixed to the proper Land-Rover code. Comes in 16 oz. spray cans. Someone here can tell you the code for limestone (it escapes me right now), and in any case I'm sure they have it on file from when I (and others before me) ordered it from them.

I think the auto paint guy there is named Richard. Knows his stuff.

Leslie
01-02-2009, 08:27 PM
I got my limestone paint from them. DuPont Centauri enamel custom-mixed to the proper Land-Rover code. Comes in 16 oz. spray cans. Someone here can tell you the code for limestone (it escapes me right now),

38505A

SafeAirOne
01-02-2009, 09:15 PM
It looks like Santa has come through with a chance to purchase some 16" wheels. My understanding is they come painted black? how are most folks painting them? themselves or take it to a body shop? How do I get the correct shade of limestone paint?

Any suggestions where to take them to have them painted in the Concord NH area??

Thanks

If thy're the NATO steel wheels, they come in black and silver, depending where you get them. I personally think the black ones look good on my 109. If I wanted them limestone colored, I'd head to the Home Depot on Damante Drive and pick up a can or two of the rustoleum almond.

TeriAnn
01-02-2009, 11:04 PM
If thy're the NATO steel wheels, they come in black and silver, depending where you get them. I personally think the black ones look good on my 109.
I prefer mine in semi gloss black as well

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/snapshots/snaps/GRsnow.jpg

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/GR_DiscoWheel.jpg

sayers
01-03-2009, 07:28 AM
I got mine from rovers north, they are the factory steel wheel. If you want it done correctlly and to look like they came from the factory have the black paint sandblasted off and then powercoated your color or limestone. It is costly but worth it in the long run. It will look quite better in years to come vs. black. good luck

Tim Smith
01-03-2009, 03:25 PM
This probably won't be what you are looking for but I painted my 5 spokes with bed liner in an attempt to end the chips showing up and making way for rust.

Seems pretty tough and they look very much like TeriAnn's above, once you get them dirty. :D

K Madigan
01-03-2009, 06:40 PM
I appreciate everyones info.