PDA

View Full Version : Solenoid Location

thixon
01-05-2009, 09:25 AM
In the interest of starting a new thread:

I'm about to start wiring up the front end of my truck (slowly). The bed, seat box, and doors still need work, but I want to have the front of the truck done here shortly (month or so).

I'm floundering on where to locate the solenoid. If any of you have opinions, or suggestions I'd like to know what bugs you about the location of yours. Or, what you think works well. Right now I'm thinking up top on the bulkhead near where the voltage reg/fuse box would be. I say would be because I'm going with an aftermarket hotrod harness.

For those that don't know, the truck is an 88, 2.25 petrol. Everyting else is basically stock, except the alternator conversion using a pangolin bracket.

Also, JP, how's that bag of pooh?

Thanks,

greenmeanie
01-05-2009, 12:53 PM
About the only improvement I can suggest to the current location on my Late IIA is to move it further up the bulkhead as you describe to give easier access and keep it further away from the crud, heat and vibration in its original location. It should help keep the main power feeds and ignition wires up away from the engine where I've seen the insulation get abraided with a resulting short. Route the big battery to starter leads separately from the rest of the harness.

Keeping it off the wing means that you have less harness to deal with should you need to remove these panels for access to the engine.