PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure

Bob06
01-05-2009, 10:40 AM
I have a '69 Series IIA SWB that I use mainly on my farm but I do occasionally use it on the road for errands and such. I have had it about a year and it is incredibly original. It only shows about 25-30 lbs. oil pressure running and probably 5-10 lbs at idle. It makes no strange sounds, the oil pressure light works but never comes on while running and it runs like a top otherwise. My previous Series IIA ran 60 lbs.

Question - should I leave well enough alone OR rebuild the oil pump - RoversNorth sells a rebuild kit that seems straightforward.

Opinions??

gudjeon
01-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Before jumping to any conclusions I would be inclined to test using a known and reliable oil pressure gauge, say one that a mechanic would use for testing. Having any oil pressure at idle suggests it is not a dire situation. Unless it is darn cold where you live, using a 10w?? oil will give lower pressures once warmed up.

In -dash automotive oil pressure gauges, especially aftermarket ones, are not known for their accuracy.

An old trick to boost pressure can be done by shimming the pumps relief spring with a washer or two. This is assuming the pump is in good enough shape to be capable.

Hope this can help.

Bob06
01-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I use 20-50 oil, live in Virginia and am reading the OEM oil pressure gauge in the dash. My first thought was to shim the spring but unfortunately, with the LR you have to drop the pan and remove the pump, unlike some cars such as an MGB where you can access the spring externally. Good idea about trying another gauge though.

Thanks,