PDA

View Full Version : 1982 stage 1 mechanical questions

jcwales
01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Just took delivery this week of a 1982 series 3 stage 1 109 RHD. First, ordered a new door top to start working on it. When the vehicle is cold it takes a very long time to warm up enough on its own so that I dont have to keep the choke pulled out or keep giving it gas. When I start driving it, while shifting gears it bogs down and is sluggish, but after it warms up enough it drives , shifts and idles very nicely. Also when i shut it off and the engine is off it keeps bucking or knocking for a few seconds. Any suggestions to get me pointed in the right direction. Will post some pictures soon. Cheers !

rwollschlager
01-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Just took delivery this week of a 1982 series 3 stage 1 109 RHD. When the vehicle is cold it takes a very long time to warm up enough on its own so that I dont have to keep the choke pulled out or keep giving it gas. When I start driving it, while shifting gears it bogs down and is sluggish, but after it warms up enough it drives , shifts and idles very nicely. Also when i shut it off and the engine is off it keeps bucking or knocking for a few seconds. Any suggestions to get me pointed in the right direction. Will post some pictures soon. Cheers !

Congrats on the new truck! Lets see some pics! Stage 1's are special trucks indeed and i hope you have as much fun with yours as i do with mine :thumb-up: .

How cold is it that your truck takes a very long time to warm up? In the 20's my stage 1 takes around 3 minutes (with the choke out) to where it will pull away in 1st or 2nd gear with out bogging down. Once the truck is moving down the road pretty good i push in the choke and keep driving.

The bucking and knocking after you shut the engine off might be an issue with the timing....easily fixed with the right information and tools by yourself or a garage. I hope this helps, if not, someone on here will chime in with more suggestions.

-Robert

xsbowes
01-05-2009, 07:26 PM
I've got an extra Series III V-8 supplement

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31P45Q96DYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Let me know if you want it.