PDA

View Full Version : Dash plates?

telwyn
01-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Anyone know where (including our host, RN) I can buy blank dash plates for a Series Rover, particularly a Lightweight? I'm looking for a completely blank (no gauge or switch cutouts yet) center plate and 2 side plates.

Looking to rewire and reconfigure my dash and would like to start from scratch.

Thanks.

thixon
01-11-2009, 08:43 PM
I don't know this for a fact, I'm just guessing, but I bet what you're after does'nt exit. Anything supplied by a Rover parts dealer will most probably already have the cutouts.

Why not make them? If you dont have the tools, find a local welder/fabricator.

carl k
01-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Rocky Mountain Products (Ray Wood) used to sell blank panels. They are not on their website so you might have to email or call to see if they still have them.

Carl K.

telwyn
01-12-2009, 04:45 AM
You're likely correct that blank dash panels may not exist, but just in case I emailed Rocky Mountain Expedition Equipment so we'll see what they say.

If not, I agree I could have them frabricated locally.

Thanks. Will let you guys know what I find out.

sailtech
01-12-2009, 07:30 AM
I'm pretty sure these folks fabricate dash plates:

http://www.land-roverco.com/

Eric W S
01-12-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm pretty sure these folks fabricate dash plates:

http://www.land-roverco.com/

They use existing main gauge panels for a speedo and tac and then use commonly available aux panels for the other gauges.

thixon
01-12-2009, 09:07 AM
They use existing main gauge panels for a speedo and tac and then use commonly available aux panels for the other gauges.

Im sure I don't want to know what they charge for the whole set up, but what I saw on their website (gauges and all) looked really nice. Anyone know what brand gauges they're using?

lrdukdog
01-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Hey, this is Corn Flakes' site. IF he will sell you one it will be very dear indeed. Be perpared to get that second mortgage. You may want to just have one made from Latinum or or moon rocks and save yer sel some dosh.
Jim Wolf

Eric W S
01-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Im sure I don't want to know what they charge for the whole set up, but what I saw on their website (gauges and all) looked really nice. Anyone know what brand gauges they're using?

Nisonger sells the whole line of Smith's. Just need to get the right diameter gauges for Speed and Tach. Then you'd need to get the fuel, temp and electrical. That's about it. You could also use Jaeger gauges as well.

I have not seen that specific tach before, but I am sure you could locate it.

Eric W S
01-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Hey, this is Corn Flakes' site. IF he will sell you one it will be very dear indeed. Be perpared to get that second mortgage. You may want to just have one made from Latinum or or moon rocks and save yer sel some dosh.
Jim Wolf

Actually, he seems to be dealing more now that Pangolin4x4 has moved in the proverbial neighborhood.

It was funny as he quoted me $9k for bulkhead restoration that Ike is doing for 7k less to the same standard. He also ripped our hosts repair panels as being total inaccurate. Why I do not know as they are damn good IMO.

carl k
01-12-2009, 10:14 AM
I am pretty sure the tachometer that fits in the stock sereis dash panel is from a MGB.

Carl K.

JSBriggs
01-12-2009, 10:32 AM
I am pretty sure the tachometer that fits in the stock sereis dash panel is from a MGB.

Carl K.

From Teriann's site.
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRTACH.htm

-Jeff

thixon
01-12-2009, 10:40 AM
1) Carl K,
Thanks, I have a bunch of gauges in the attic. One has to be a tach from an MGB. I'll try it.

2) LRDukDog,
Cornflakes? How the hell did he end up with that as a nickname?

3) Eric,
9 G's for a bulkhead resto. Has he actually done any? You can buy an entire land rover for that.

JSBriggs
01-12-2009, 10:43 AM
2). His name is given name Charles Kellog. If you have met him, or talked to him, you would understand.

-Jeff

Eric W S
01-12-2009, 12:47 PM
So says he. Price it out and it could get $$$ quick. Freight both ways, the repairs and full paint and it'll be expensive. Just shouldn't be that expensive...

ES

Jim-ME
01-12-2009, 01:05 PM
I have a Smiths Tach from a 4 cyl MG mounted in a wiper motor cover from a late 2A. I believe mine was origionally in a miget. Works great.
Jim

carl k
01-12-2009, 09:19 PM
If you are using Pertronix or other electronic ignition system, look for a later (mid seventies or newer) Smiths tachometer marked RVC on the face. These are the voltage sensing tachs and they work with electronic ignition. The earlier Smiths ones are marked RVI -they are current sensing and work with points systems.

Carl K.

S11A
01-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi,

Check this thread for more info on some of the panels.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3519&highlight=s11a

As others also said, Pangolin has used ones as well.

telwyn
01-16-2009, 04:42 AM
Thanks for linking to the other thread. I'll shoot him an email and report back.

telwyn
01-16-2009, 06:07 AM
Impressively, Peter referenced in the link above already responded to my email this morning. He only makes the side dash plates and only does them for the Series 2. Great service though to respond so quickly.

S11A
01-21-2009, 08:04 AM
I had a great experience dealing with Peter. Bought several plates from him and he was very helpful in getting me the right ones. There are several options, including:

- the size of hole (for the standard size gauges) or he might be able to custom punch these or order with no holes and DIY for a custom gauge or switch

- one, two, or no holes

- hole at top or bottom if one

- right or left handed

- with the side panel that covers up the wiring, or without (i.e.- if you wanted to put several side-by-side, you probably don't want the side panels except on the ones that are at the outer ends of the grouping)

- with or without the notches for the vent lever brackets, etc.

I got a later wiper motor cover from Pangolin for a different project (lots o' switches). Great to deal with too.