PDA

View Full Version : Relay ground

Jim-ME
01-11-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm installing my relays and wonder if I can ground them to the bulkhead or do I need to ground them with the rest of the headlight grounds on the breakfast or to the negative terminal of the battery. It would seem to me that grounding to the bulkhead is just as effective as connecting them to the battery or headlight grounds without using the extra wire. Am I missing something here?
Jim

Terrys
01-11-2009, 10:35 AM
The current drawn by your relays is so little, that any possible resistance by multiple body panel joints will not prevent them from working. The heavier loads; those switched by the relays, are getting their grounds elsewhere. Whether your battery is grounded to the chassis, or frame doesn't matter so long as you have a ground wire, or braided strap between the two. Many people install lighter braided straps between body panels, especially if there are ancillaries also grounded to those panels. These grounds also aid in reducing radio interference.

Jim-ME
01-11-2009, 10:57 AM
So if I ground the relays to the bulkhead; leave the headlight pigtail grounds on the radiator support; run a new hot lines for the low and high beams from the relays to the headlamps and then using the existing wire harness run the high and low beams back to their respective relays so that the existing switch turns the relays on and off am I correct? Sorry to be so thick.
Jim

I Leak Oil
01-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Use the wiring coming from the switch and high beam switch to latch the relays. Run new hot leads to the headlights from the relay and from the battery side. Run your grounds to the shortest, most reliable point. Think of it as 2 seperate circuits, a low amp side and a high amp side with the relay making the connection.
Jason T.

Jim-ME
01-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Got it! Thanks Jason.
Jim