PDA

View Full Version : Vaccum advance/Lucas Dizzy

NC Rover
01-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Before I start my search for a new replacement distributer, how do you know if the vaccum advance is working properly? I've tried blowing air through the line to the distributer. Even if you suck the air through the line, no movement of air either way. (**Note: Vehicle in reference has 2.5L engine w/ 2-barral Weber carb.)

1.) If the vaccum advance is shot, is it something that can be replaced without replacing the entire distributer?

2.) I have a Jacobs Ignition / Petronix Igniter - obviously there are no more points in the dizzy, so with that said...does the vaccum advance even come into play if I currently have the petronix setup?

3.) Should I need to get a new distributer, is it possible to still find a new Lucas distributer (part# 42618B 45D4)? Wasn't even sure if they still made them.

thanks!
Nick

Jim-ME
01-11-2009, 04:31 PM
If our hosts don't have complete dizzys RDS has genuine Lucas ones. Scott beat me to the vacum advance.
Jim

scott
01-11-2009, 04:32 PM
if sucking dosen't cause the dizzy deck to move then your vaccum adv ain't work'n. it's a pretty simple set up. intake causes a vaccum. this vaccum pulls a diaphram that's attached to a mechanism the rotates the deck that our points and conensor are mounted to. if the axis and mechanism attached to the dizzy deck are lubed and they don't move when you suck on the tube the the diaphram has got to be bad.

rn has a vac adv unit http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2522-vacuum-advance-late-lucas-4-cylinder.aspx

NC Rover
01-11-2009, 09:23 PM
if sucking dosen't cause the dizzy deck to move then your vaccum adv ain't work'n. it's a pretty simple set up. intake causes a vaccum. this vaccum pulls a diaphram that's attached to a mechanism the rotates the deck that our points and conensor are mounted to. if the axis and mechanism attached to the dizzy deck are lubed and they don't move when you suck on the tube the the diaphram has got to be bad.

rn has a vac adv unit http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2522-vacuum-advance-late-lucas-4-cylinder.aspx

So I guess my question now is, does the vaccum advance apply even though I have no points and have the petronix igniter / jacobs coil setup?

scott
01-11-2009, 10:25 PM
So I guess my question now is, does the vaccum advance apply even though I have no points and have the petronix igniter / jacobs coil setup?

i don't know. good question. i've a petronix but haven't had a chance to use it as my motor's still on a stand.

xsbowes
01-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Yes vacuum advance still comes into play with the pertronix igniter. In fact they sell a dizzy to replace the 45d that has vacuum advance and the igniter.

here's the link

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/dist/british.aspx

Runs about $165

Oscar
01-12-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but: Are we to assume that you are creating a vacuum when sucking on the hose? As in you are not getting any airflow? If you are there's a leak in the hose....

scott
01-12-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but: Are we to assume that you are creating a vacuum when sucking on the hose? As in you are not getting any airflow? If you are there's a leak in the hose....

yes if you suck on the vacuum hose going to the dizzy and the dizzy deck does not shift then the hose or the diaphram leaks or there's something in the deck shifting mechanism that ain't giving under the force of the vacuum you've created. if a new hose doesn't help then remove the dizzy deck and vacuum thing. you should see a small rod (hook) that comes out of the vacuum thing. pull on the deck shift mechanism the way the hook would. it will be very easy (little force) to get the deck shift mechanism to move. if the deck mechanism doesn't move under the lightest of pull, look for what it's hanging up on.