PDA

View Full Version : 1973 Series III 109 LHD 5 door 2.5l Turbo Diesel

dpom
01-11-2009, 11:01 PM
I hate to do it, but the economy is forcing me to sell my project truck, it has been 8 years in the making, but I have built up the ultimate "guy" truck, and it is truly unique, rare, and one of a kind, yet easy to maintain and no need to worry about rust!!! (Land Rover's have aluminum body parts!). Land Rovers are easy to maintain because all you need to work on them literally is a Gerber utility tool, screw driver, and some duck tape.

Over $17,000 invested, plus my time rebuilding the truck and engine. With the dollar vs. euro and british pound rates now, it is more like $20,000 invested, since I bought off of the parts in Europe before I exported the truck to the states.

Yes, this truck is a Left Hand Drive, and it is a 5 DOOR Safari with the tropical windows, I have the papers from the factory to prove it is all original. Very few of these have ever made it to the states, and certainly none of them were diesels like mine. Of course now I have fitted mine with a 2.5 L Turbo Diesel from a Canadian Defender, so now I don't get 35MPG like I used to, now I only get around 29, but I have about 65 more horse power with the Roverdrive overdrive and the Allard Intercooler.

This truck has no known rust spots, at least when I got it from the abandoned airfield in Italy near Venice, there was no evidence of the truck going anywhere for at least 10 years prior, so it was parked their in 1990.

For more detailed explanation of the truck, the rebuild, and all of the sweet parts that I put on it, please email me and I will forward them to you.

I brought the truck over from Germany (where I lived for 3 years) in 2001.

I am looking for $12,000 or OBO, possibly also a trade for a running vehicle of equal trade. Ideally, I have always loved Land Cruiser FJ40's and Series II or III 88's in soft top configuration.

Photos Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dpom

CliftonRover
01-13-2009, 08:59 PM
that looks like a good project, I love my 200tdi in our 109 sw, it makes the truck much more usable. good luck with the sale.

dpom
01-14-2009, 12:04 PM
I did a lot of work to get the 2.5l Turbo diesel as close to the specs of the 200TDI as I could, aside from making it direct injection. All of the turbo housings and manifolds were coated with ceramic coating to reduce the Exhaust Gas Temp.

ccmohan
01-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Hello - nice Rover - where are you located??

cheers,
chris

dpom
01-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Savannah, GA

jjacumin
01-21-2009, 12:14 PM
When you say possibly trade for a running vehicle of equal trade. Does this imply that the 109 is not currently running? Do you have any other pics? I have a 1973 88 that runs well and I use as a daily driver to keep the miles down on my other car.

dpom
01-26-2009, 12:04 AM
The truck is not currently running, it needs a custom throttle linkage and fuel line since the 2.5l TD came out of a 1989 Defender (Canadian). I just haven't had time to finish her up. Also needs a spot to mount the battery and a spot to put the air filter (since the oil bath unit doesn't fit that well with the turbo in the way!).

John Jarrett
04-26-2009, 12:47 AM
Has it been sold?