PDA

View Full Version : Rear windows failure

Les Parker
01-12-2009, 01:29 PM
On my 97 DI, the rear windows have decided to cease operating, no apparent rhyme or reason, front working great. Anyone else have this problem and find a cure (without replacing the ECU)

:confused:

JSBriggs
01-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Do they work with the switches on the doors? My 95 DI back windows don't work with the console switches, just the ones in the doors. I haven't looked into it yet though, its a bit further down on my list.

-Jeff

Paul Grant
01-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Depending on your ability, you need to either repair or replace your window lift ECU. For some reason, the solder joint on the circuit board of the ECU that controls the rear window function has a tendency to crack with age. Nine out of ten times, a small drop of solder on the offending joint and your are good to go.

There once was (I haven't checked in years) a really good step by step set of instructions in the Tech section over on dweb.org.

Basically, you have to remove the cardboard lower dash on the passenger side foot well. Remove the glove box as well. Locate the ECU which is a black plastic box with two harness connectors that will be facing you. Remove the connectors, and pry the circuit board out leaving the case still attached to its mounts. Turn the circuit board over and you will see the offending joint. Typically it will look a little burnt or display cracks that aren't apparent in the other joints. Apply a drop of solder to the joint and reassemble.

Overall, this shouldn't take more than an hour to do. Alternatively find another good ECU and do everything up to removing the harness connectors. Plug in the new ECU and mount it somewhere under the dash with zip ties. I've taken apart many DI's that had a second, replacement ECU floating around behind the glove box.
Good luck.
Paul

Les Parker
01-13-2009, 10:49 AM
The rear windows are totally in-op at the moment.
I have access to another ECU and will remove mine to investigate and let you know.

Thanks for the info, Paul.

:)

Paul Grant
01-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Les,
I had no idea it was you asking the question! I feel a little foolish, kind of like when a student tries to tell the teacher how to solve a problem!
Cheers,
Paul

Les Parker
01-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Ok, so a good used ECU (AMR1282) has been fitted and there is now ventilation for the dogs through the rear windows, hurrah !
On opening the old ECU, there is a dry solder joint on the internal relay mount, I'll solder that up and see if all is cured.
Keep you posted

:thumb-up:

jpc1818
01-22-2009, 07:37 PM
awesome post, i had this problem from time to time, now i will fix it....