PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump

poko
01-10-2007, 09:31 PM
I am working on an older 2.25 petrol, the motor starts good, idles good, accelerates okay to a point, then at high rpm's it falters. I have a new carb on it and new points condenser, elec's seem fine. I placed an in line fuel filter that I can see through and there doesn't seem to be much gas in it. It seems to be starving for fuel. Shouldn't the in line filter be just about full? I tried to manually pump the fuel at the pump and it doen't feel like it's pumping much fuel. What do you think, fuel pump? It sat for quite a while and I'm thinking the diaphragm may be shot.
Thanks,
Chuck

LaneRover
01-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Not sure if a diaphram can be sort of shot or kind of shot. The fuel filter does not have to be full of fuel to be working. I have on where it looks practically empty and the Rover runs just fine.

My brother had a problem with his fuel pump. It would idle fine but not rev at all! Usually of course this happened down the road and not in the driveway! Basically we eventually found out that it was soooooo gummed up that it was sticking and thus not pumping. Soaking it for a few days (he had time) and then cleaning it up seemed to solve the problem.

I hope this helps!

LaneRover

fruitpunch
01-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Sounds like fuel pump, quick and even cheap fix. New pump should take only a few minutes to install not worth only messing with the diaphram.

Now if the symtoms are the following little fuel from the pump when running, lot of fuel from the pump when hand pumping then you have a worn lobe (spelling) on your cam, I found this out the hard way when I thought my fuelpump was bad and bought a spare.

a109
01-11-2007, 12:50 PM
I am working on an older 2.25 petrol, the motor starts good, idles good, accelerates okay to a point, then at high rpm's it falters. I have a new carb on it and new points condenser, elec's seem fine. I placed an in line fuel filter that I can see through and there doesn't seem to be much gas in it. It seems to be starving for fuel. Shouldn't the in line filter be just about full? I tried to manually pump the fuel at the pump and it doen't feel like it's pumping much fuel. What do you think, fuel pump? It sat for quite a while and I'm thinking the diaphragm may be shot.
Thanks,
Chuck

It could very easily be the pickup tube strainer in the tank. These are a metal screen on the end of the fuel pickup tube to strain out bigger chunks of debris.
John

scott
01-18-2007, 11:11 AM
i had this problem. put in a new pump, no help, suspected the worn cam lobe. installed an electric w/ prsr reg set at 3.5 psi (weber 2 brl carb likes this setting) between tank an mechanical pump. i originally ran just the elec but it would get hot and shut down. my elec is an as needed and only pumps when the mechanical fails to keep up with fuel consumtion. the two together are working great.

Leslie
01-18-2007, 11:42 AM
It could very easily be the pickup tube strainer in the tank. These are a metal screen on the end of the fuel pickup tube to strain out bigger chunks of debris. John

Ditto.....

The pick-up tube is clogged with 30+ years of varnish.... not only the screen at the bottom, but the entire length of the tube, the elbow, etc., has so much build up in it.... a can of PB Blaster and a 223 bore brush will clean it out if you don't mind taking the screen off the bottom....

scott
01-18-2007, 04:35 PM
gee leslie, a 223 bore brush, urrrr.

Leslie
01-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Hey, what can I say, former 0311, I happened to have some around.... a Corpsman can understand, right?? ;)

poko
01-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys for all the help, the prob was the float in the Weber carby. I put together a "frankenstein" zenith with parts I had around, runs fine now.
Chuck