PDA

View Full Version : Heystee Parabolics

east high
01-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Anyone have any experience with this system?

http://www.parabolicsuspension.com/landrover/lrover.htm

Leslie
01-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Not with those particular ones, but a couple of years ago I watched a Series w/ parabolics that had a helper leaf like those, crossing a log, get it caught and bent down.... one of the reason why I went with parabolics that don't have a helper leaf that could get snagged as such....

FWIW....

thixon
01-14-2009, 01:29 PM
X2. The helper bugs the crap out of me of the same reason.

east high
01-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks guys. I've been window shopping parabolic kits lately. I've heard Rocky Mountain has stopped making theirs. Perhaps a kit from our host is the way to go?

greenmeanie
01-14-2009, 01:39 PM
X 3 on the helper.

I got my RM ones a few months ago. I don't think they've stopped production unless this is something new. It sounds like some confusion about the Roverdrive on which there is a bit of a saga of production issues.

I've got two sets of the RM ones and they've been good. Oh, I see the whole spring thing coming.

Eric W S
01-14-2009, 01:57 PM
I hope not! If so I am going to have to consciously ignore the thread!

I have the ones with greasable bushings from Great basin on my truck at the moment. No experience with the helper leaf. Mine do not have them.

EwS

crankin
01-14-2009, 02:14 PM
What I have heard through some RM suppliers is that their demand is great but that the speed of production is lousy...causing many things to be constantly sold out and leaving people thinking that RM is just out of business.

Andrew IIA
01-14-2009, 02:33 PM
I have RMs on my IIA and have liked them, but they're due for replacement this year (I hope). I would love to hear reviews on the ones RN is selling, considering the chronic availability/support problems with RM.

sven
01-14-2009, 03:02 PM
FWIW, the Rovers North ones have the helper spring on them. At least thats what they told me a few months back.

chefplw
01-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Im shopping also tried to get prices from RM been 2 weeks with no reply. is there a great difference in preformance company to company:confused:

east high
01-14-2009, 03:32 PM
I got it from the horse's mouth that RM is looking to import the Heystee system that's why I was asking about them. My stock springs are desperately in need of replacement, so I'm hoping to make a decision pretty soon.

SeriesShorty
01-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Anyone know how much the Heystees run? I'm gonna need some new springs soon.

yorker
01-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Heystee springs used to be pretty expensive. I thought I remembered that they had stopped using the helper spring that sticks out? Paul Heystee is always really helpful and responds to my emails quickly- if you have any questions direct them to him.

east high
01-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Anyone know how much the Heystees run? I'm gonna need some new springs soon.

They'll be a bit more expensive than the other options available at the moment, especially if you consider the cost of shipping and our weak dollar.

junkyddog11
01-14-2009, 04:46 PM
The Haystee springs for the 88" (3 leaf rear) have the loose helper spring. If you are running a soft top or hard top with light loads you can take that spring out and run with just 2 leafs and it is a very similar ride as the RM spring (2 leaf rear).
Haystee LWB springs are 4 leaf rear and are fully contained.
High quality spring but a little expensive. I have a set on one of my rigs and have had no issues with them long term.....even when running the loose helper spring.

The latest Rovers North springs are 3 leaf rear, 2 leaf front. I have several sets of them out and about as well as 2 sets on shop trucks. No issues at all. They are not handed as they have been in the past and produce a nice level ride height with about 1 1/2 " lift.
Less expensive than the Haystee, and highly recommended.

east high
01-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks, junkyddog11. This is the kind of firsthand feedback I was looking for. The RN parabolic kit is a pretty enticing when you throw in their occasional free shipping offers.

Andrew IIA
01-14-2009, 05:53 PM
occasional free shipping offers.
The spring kits are not generally included in those offers - overweight.

Thanks for the input Matt (junkyddog11), just what I was hoping to hear. I just need to sell a couple of the Longboards to fund the new springs :rolleyes:

Andrew
'63 SIIA 88

east high
01-14-2009, 06:05 PM
The spring kits are not generally included in those offers - overweight.

Gah! I had a feeling...

CliftonRover
01-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I have installed the RN parabolics on many trucks, both the 3 leafs and 4. the 4 can carry a good load and are a good option for the LWB. the 3 leafs are a little soft for a 109 sw but would likely work well for a pick up that just carries people around. I have yet to see the helper spring on the 3 leafs get caught on anything. I suppose you could just pull them up toward the other leafs some how to prevent them getting caught up.

Bertha
01-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Heystee are the only way to go with the greasable bushings and Old Man Emu shocks. They rest of the parabolics on the market are questionable.

Bertha
01-15-2009, 06:38 AM
I have RMs on my IIA and have liked them, but they're due for replacement this year (I hope). I would love to hear reviews on the ones RN is selling, considering the chronic availability/support problems with RM.

Not saying much about the quality of RM springs, unless they have been on your truck for 30years and gone over 100k miles.

Jeff Aronson
01-15-2009, 07:37 AM
I have a set of parabolics from Rovers North on my '66 II-A for 3 years now. I am very pleased with them, whether under heavy loads [clearly woodlots], highway use or off roading. My Rover is run as both a safari top and as a softop. The shocks on the car are Old Man Emu's.

My other II-A still has the original Land Rover springs. You can sure feel the difference in operation, less on smooth roads than on bumpy or dirt roads.

Jeff

Andrew IIA
01-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Not saying much about the quality of RM springs, unless they have been on your truck for 30years and gone over 100k miles.
My IIA Station Wagon was fitted with 2-leaf (front and rear) RMs in 2002. The light-duty 2 leaf setup was chosen for maximum axle articulation and it has performed well, but now has gotten tired and sags under the weight of camping gear, dogs, spare fuel, etc. all added to the heavy tropical top with roof rack. So, I'm planning on replacing the springs with a 2-leaf/3-leaf setup; a little less flexible but better for the loaded weight of my rig. Its worth noting that RM does not recommend the setup I have for the configuration of my truck because of the issue I'm experiencing. Just not sure who's springs to use (leaning towards RNs units).

Best regards, Andrew

jac04
01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
FWIW, the Rovers North ones have the helper spring on them. At least thats what they told me a few months back.
I bought a set of RN parabolics a few months back, and the 3rd leaf is part of the same spring "pack" - it definitely is not a 'helper' type leaf. IIRC, the 3rd leaf does sit slightly farther away from the other 2 leafs, but the ends contact the leaf above.

junkyddog11
01-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Heystee are the only way to go with the greasable bushings and Old Man Emu shocks. They rest of the parabolics on the market are questionable.

Long term, greased polybushes really aren't that great (although they will offer a slightly higher degree of resistance free movement) but will wear out faster than plain old rubber bushes, a fact not missed by working truck fleets world wide. They are significantly easier to change, which is good as you will need to change them fairly frequently (depending on operating conditions) unless the wandering truck syndrome is tolerable.

junkyddog11
01-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the input Matt (junkyddog11), just what I was hoping to hear. I just need to sell a couple of the Longboards to fund the new springs :rolleyes:
Andrew
'63 SIIA 88

.....trying to temp me with the boards again? :)

one other note about the Rocky Mtn spring is that they use an odd size bushing. Not that big a deal as they are of a very high quality and wear well....just a PITA to find (and they manufacturers seldom seem to have any)

junkyddog11
01-15-2009, 06:52 PM
....yup. I spend much time messing with springs, and not just Rover springs.

CliftonRover
01-15-2009, 10:03 PM
I bought poly bushes for a classic and the rear ones failed almost immediately. they were torn to pieces, I replaced with the genuine ones. the leaf bushings are different but it was still clearly a sub-par material for my application

Bertha
01-16-2009, 06:28 AM
Long term, greased polybushes really aren't that great (although they will offer a slightly higher degree of resistance free movement) but will wear out faster than plain old rubber bushes, a fact not missed by working truck fleets world wide. They are significantly easier to change, which is good as you will need to change them fairly frequently (depending on operating conditions) unless the wandering truck syndrome is tolerable.

I have had my truck for over 18 years and have tried pretty much everything on the market for it at one time or another and I can say with much confidence based on experience that the greasable poly bushes have already outlasted the original LR bushes by far.

Bertha
01-16-2009, 06:33 AM
I bought poly bushes for a classic and the rear ones failed almost immediately. they were torn to pieces, I replaced with the genuine ones. the leaf bushings are different but it was still clearly a sub-par material for my application

as with everything on the market there are different manufacturers of the same looking part, some are good and some are not.

luckyjoe
01-16-2009, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't compare Classic poly bushing to Series greasable polys - similar material but entirely different animals. I'd never use poly on a Coiler (Classic), but I'm seriously considering them next round on my Series.

There was as good thread on them if you search...

Regards,

Bertha
01-16-2009, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't compare Classic poly bushing to Series greasable polys - similar material but entirely different animals. I'd never use poly on a Coiler (Classic), but I'm seriously considering them next round on my Series.

There was as good thread on them if you search...

Regards,

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3336&highlight=poly+bushes

lstrvr
01-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Last time I talked to the makers of the Rocky Mountain Parabolics, they told me that Rovers North is buying their springs from them and re-badging them as their own. Unfortunately, up here in Western Canada, the Rocky Mountain springs seem to have a bad reputation. I know quite a few owners who have had nothing but problems with sagging/leaning issues.

After careful consideration, I decided to spend the extra and buy the Heystee Parabolics. Unfortunately, I am now dealing with a warranty issue with them, as in less then 10 000kms I have developed a very heavy lean to the left! That being said, Paul Heystee has been absolutely incredible to deal with! He appears to offer a level of customer service and pride in his product that you do not see very often. Disregarding the lean, the springs w/ome shocks, offer an incredible ride and articulation. I do believe my problems may be a limited occurence, as other clubmembers have been running the Heystee/TIConsole springs for years under heavy abuse and have reported no problems at all.

fwiw

xsbowes
01-16-2009, 11:19 PM
I talked to Mark at Wise Owl Parts today, they are ordering some of the Heystee springs as well as some of the other products Heystee makes.

jac04
01-17-2009, 06:07 AM
Last time I talked to the makers of the Rocky Mountain Parabolics, they told me that Rovers North is buying their springs from them and re-badging them as their own.
A while back RN was supplying RM parabolics. Not any more. The parabolics I received a few month back from RN were definitely not RMs.

junkyddog11
01-17-2009, 07:48 AM
I have had my truck for over 18 years and have tried pretty much everything on the market for it at one time or another and I can say with much confidence based on experience that the greasable poly bushes have already outlasted the original LR bushes by far.

funny that there is always somone who gets results that are off the normal charts. Congrats to you.

Usefull info would be;

If you want maintainence free bomb proof forget about it average performance, and count your pennies...use a quality bound (standard) bushing.

If you want slightly better performance, don't mind the maintainence, are capable of changing them, don't mind spending the extra $$....get some greasable polybushes.

Not sure if it is a matter of location and or useage but I run both and have a pretty good barometer of the differences in them and that it is mostely as described above a matter of what you want to get out of them and what you are willing to do to get that.

As for springs. Haystee is definately a quality product. Only had one set fail to date and those were on a Toyota B70.

Some of the less expensive English sold brands are bloody awfull.

Have yet to have any Rocky Mountain springs perform satifactorily and their customer service is (I have found) not the best. Odd sized bushings.

greenmeanie
01-17-2009, 08:57 AM
That was a useful way of summarizing. Now the engineer in me would have to point out that to make your last statement of any real value you would have to qusalify what satisfactory performance means to you.
- Durability?
- Ease of installation?
- Articulation?

alaskajosh
01-17-2009, 02:12 PM
A while back RN was supplying RM parabolics. Not any more. The parabolics I received a few month back from RN were definitely not RMs.

Interesting.

After this quote from Mr Letorney in explaining why RN is reluctant to disclose their vendor sources.

"......It is extremely important for us to have the ability to change manufacturers smoothly when quality or availability issues surface w/o being subject to false advertising, or bait and switch......

Respectfully,
Mark Letorney".

And in light of this from catalog, which appears to have been printed 4 years ago, and continued to this date (online catalog):

"After years of testing, research and selling four different types of parabolic springs from around the world, we’ve determined these (emphasis mine) to be the best available."

"These" (the "best available") may be a moving target.

Kind regards, Josh

Bertha
01-17-2009, 02:38 PM
That was a useful way of summarizing. Now the engineer in me would have to point out that to make your last statement of any real value you would have to qusalify what satisfactory performance means to you.
- Durability?
- Ease of installation?
- Articulation?

junkydogg would also have to qualify what he considers "off the normal charts" to be. I am not the first person to use and be happy with the greaseable bushings, in fact I am probably part of the majority to be happy with them and have postive results-to each his own I guess, but the normal charts from what I have seen, is greater longevity and performance from the greaseables. I guess we need to define what normal is. Having OEM bushings fail in less than 3 years and 15k miles is not "maintenance free and bombproof " in my book.

yorker
01-17-2009, 03:09 PM
junkydogg would also have to qualify what he considers "off the normal charts" to be. I am not the first person to use and be happy with the greaseable bushings, in fact I am probably part of the majority to be happy with them and have postive results-to each his own I guess, but the normal charts from what I have seen, is greater longevity and performance from the greaseables. I guess we need to define what normal is. Having OEM bushings fail in less than 3 years and 15k miles is not "maintenance free and bombproof " in my book.

Years ago there were definitely some crappy "oem" bushings out there and people had early failures. However I've had a new set of OEM's in one of my trucks for 12 years and ~85,000 miles without having them fail. I was going to replace them this past summer but there really was no point as they were still all good- it was a pleasant surprise.

It appears to be one of those YMMV things.

yorker
01-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Interesting.

After this quote from Mr Letorney in explaining why RN is reluctant to disclose their vendor sources.

"......It is extremely important for us to have the ability to change manufacturers smoothly when quality or availability issues surface w/o being subject to false advertising, or bait and switch......

Respectfully,
Mark Letorney".

And in light of this advertising (from the catalog) which appears to have been printed 4 years ago:

"After years of testing, research and selling four different types of parabolic springs from around the world, we’ve determined these (emphasis mine) to be the best available."

"These" (the "best available") may be a moving target.

Kind regards, Josh

http://www.parabolicspring.com/

junkyddog11
01-17-2009, 03:56 PM
- Durability?
- Ease of installation?
- Articulation?

In this case satisfactory performance would be consistant rates or springs that couldn't be installed without the vehicle leaning fairly severely (more that 3/4") to one side or the other.

junkyddog11
01-17-2009, 04:09 PM

It would seem that the majority of people....myself included .....are very happy with polybushes. Most of that same group would also agree that they do not last as long as a quality bound bushing. The poor lifespan you have experienced with bound bushes probably has something more to do with the quality of the bush and or the installation than the type of bushing used.

Andrew IIA
01-18-2009, 09:41 AM
I knew I'd read where the current RN para's were coming from but took my while to dig it up, from Dec. '07. I believe Woodhead is in India.

Gentlemen,
Its been brought to my attention that some customers think we are hiding the source of our parabolic springs, because when they ask who they are made by you are telling them that you do not know. This is clearly my fault for not telling you, it was just easier to ID them by color. The manufacturer's name is Woodhead. As you know we have made a steady progress w/ manufactures and quality since the early days, and even just recently reevaluated Woodhead against another new manufacturer. They are awesome springs.We have sold hundreds of trouble free sets. This does not mean we will always sell Woodhead, because if we find better you can be assured thats what we will switch to. As you know, our goal is have our ProLine parts represent the best in quality. This is one of the reason for developing our own brand name. Unfortunately it looks like it can be interpreted negatively by prospective customers not familiar w/us. I'm not sure how to correct this, and would appreciate any comments to help build confidence w/ new customers. Thanks,m

yorker
01-18-2009, 10:08 AM
www.woodheadsprings.com

yes India.