PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite British Vehicle

Jeff Ward
01-15-2009, 06:13 PM
My Land Rover came in handy today. I had to tow my old airplane down the taxiway from the hangar to the maintenance shop. We must have made something of an odd sight, but the Land Rover was the perfect tool for the job, and the mission was accomplished with grace.

This little event got me thinking that my Land Rover, which is probably the least exotic one there could be (1974 right hand drive 88), is getting awfully close to the heart strings, and may end up being my favorite British vehicle.

I bring lots of British mechanical history to the table. Tonight I counted up 19 British cars and motorcycles I've owned and enjoyed since I was in high school, thirty five years ago. But this little Land Rover, as humble as it can be, is making its way to the top of the list.

Since I bought my Land Rover in October, it has taken me to the local British Car show where it was proudly on display in the "other" section, it has pulled my log splitter around our place, it has brought firewood to the house, it has hauled the trash, it has taken the whole family out on the town, it has been off road through the brush and brambles, it has taught my daughters how to shift a manual, it has taught them how to drive right hand drive, it has been to the mailbox time and again, it has taken me to work most days, it has generated inquiries from strangers, it has pulled my plane around the airport, and it has taught me that the simple things are often the best.

So if you are a prospective Series Land Rover owner, don't be hesitant. You'll be missing something special if you don't come along.

Cheers, Jeff

sayers
01-15-2009, 06:19 PM
I can also remember being put in that "other section", with the other british car owners looking down their noses at me and my 88. Let see some pics of your 88. good luck.

scott
01-15-2009, 08:01 PM
my first was a 76 spitfire some 20+ years ago. still have it and when the British Automobile Owners Association got together back then i don't remember anyone snub'n Ace who showed in his old 88. my 2nd was another spit for parts then 20 years later i scored my 64' iia 88, then the wife gets a new lr3. and as soon as the spit and series are back up i'm getting rid of the only non british ride i've got a beat up ford exploder

Bertha
01-16-2009, 06:43 AM
My Land Rover is my longest held british car-18 years. I have had it since sophomore year in college. Anyone that knows me, knows it. I have had many other british cars, but the Land Rover has always managed to stay with me through my lifes ups and downs, mostly because of how much effort I have put in it, but also because it is the most useful classic vehicle I have ever owned.

Jeff Aronson
01-16-2009, 07:34 AM
We've both owned our Land Rovers for 18 years, and I appreciate your statement, "it is the most useful classic vehcile I have ever owned." Nicely put - I agree with you completely.

Jeff

thixon
01-16-2009, 02:51 PM
I can also remember being put in that "other section", with the other british car owners looking down their noses at me and my 88. Let see some pics of your 88. good luck.

Sayers,
I'm that guy that shows up at the brit car shows (with whatever I happen to have at the time...MG, AH, Triumph, rover) and proceeds to make fun of the "snooty" owners for being, well, snooty. It always goes over big.

Just wanted you to know someone out there had your back, even if we werent at the same show at the same time!

mechman
01-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Heheh, I've found the best way to deal with "snooty" owners is to give them a complex. Introduce yourself as a British car mechanic, point to your rolling wreck to prove it, then say something like, "Yeah, your XK140 is pretty nice, except for those body bolts. They're wrong for your year, they belong in a Series II XKE. But hey, it's YOUR car..." and walk away. They'll have nightmares for weeks... :D

If I'm camping at the show though, my best approach is Glenlivet. Even the snootiest of them come around after a couple shots (or after they don't get those couple shots that the nicer folk get). Worked like a charm for me with the top guys in the MG club at Carlisle Import several years ago.

Mech

jp-
01-19-2009, 11:37 AM
"Yeah, your XK140 is pretty nice, except for those body bolts. They're wrong for your year, they belong in a Series II XKE. But hey, it's YOUR car..." and walk away. They'll have nightmares for weeks... :D

Brilliant! I can see it on those guys faces! I'll have to try that.:thumb-up:

swingkeel
01-19-2009, 04:26 PM
I remember being at a British car show in Toronto a dozen years ago or thereabouts and looking at an absolutely spectacular Austin Healey 100S. It's the only one I have ever seen in real life and it was a sight to see. One knucklehead in the crow kept insisting that the steering wheel was not "correct". Maybe it wasn't, but but who realy cared except for the one mook with the big mouth.

NelsAnderson
01-19-2009, 05:44 PM
I must go to the wrong car shows, as almost everywhere I show up with the Land Rover people love it, whether a British car show or not. I must meet the wrong people too since even those who own the high end cars rarely seem to be snooty, though I'm sure there are some. Given the reaction I've seen, the Land Rover world might do well to have more of us attend car shows and let people see our odd vehicles. You might be surprised by the reaction you get...my truck came home with six first and second place trophies from car shows just this past year, and it's nothing any more special than most of the Rovers owned by people in this forum (well, it's special to me!)

Now, let's hear about the airplane!