PDA

View Full Version : Aux 12V connector

Daurie
01-17-2009, 04:58 PM
I saw this dash on eBay and it reminded me of something I've been meaning to find. Does anyone know where to get the aux. 12 plug shown in this picture at bottom left? Not the female red and black plugs in the dash itself but the one piece male connector that would attach to the accessory.

Thanks!

BTW the picture was stolen off ebay and item has a Buy it Now of $500!!

Daurie
01-17-2009, 05:06 PM
forgot the picture!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/Daurie/56a3_1.jpg

yorker
01-17-2009, 06:03 PM
They used to show up on eBay UK once in a while and I think I've seen some improvised ones as well. You also sometimes see some neat accessories like teapots etc that plug into them.

Oscar
01-17-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure about the distance between the two prongs, but I use similar plugs for the band's PA system. The cables and the Rover are not in the same place right now or I'd check for you.

Go to the local (better) music store and ask for them and measure. If they are not the same you may be able to get creative and buy a red one and a black one, separate each, and have two sets black/red.

Eric W S
01-17-2009, 06:51 PM
www.rovahfarm.com.
:thumb-up:

Jim-ME
01-17-2009, 07:31 PM
If Trevor doesn't have them, try http://www.triple-c.com/Page.cfm?startreturn=25&MaxReturn=12&StartPage=1&InfoID=2441&Category1=All&Category2=Lucas&Category3=All&Category4=All&Search=&Sortby= 3 items up from the bottom of the page.
Jim

lrdukdog
01-17-2009, 10:26 PM
:thumb-up: Yep triple-C has some good $ on Lucas electrical stuff,
Jim Wolf

Daurie
01-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Excellent! Thanks for the link! Exactly what I was looking for.

S11A
01-21-2009, 08:17 AM
I picked up one on eBay. IIRC I paid about $25 US, which seemed a bit pricey.

I also picked up a vintage trouble light that plugs into the female receptacles on the dash. I see those occassionally for around $50 - 80 on eBay and I think a couple of shops (maybe Pangolin?) occassionally have these in stock. This might even have the male jack in question on the end of it, but I am out of town at the moment so I can't go check.

I am guessing but am not sure that these receptacles might be the same sizing and spacing as the common UK electrical wall outlets. While a devoice meant for 220V is not going to work with 12V, you might be able to buy a replacement cord for electrical applicances and use that. In the US you can go to the hardware store and by just a cord with the US end on it, so you could probably find the cord and use that for a project.

You can also find the UK wall plug adapters (to adapt US appliances) in travel power kits (the kind you would take on vacation).

Blueboy
01-21-2009, 08:35 AM
picked up a vintage trouble light that plugs into the female receptacles on the dash

yes, I have one as well and purchased it from Ike a few years back.

Jaime

bmohan55
01-21-2009, 08:51 AM
my trouble lite goes off each time I plug into a female receptacle also!

greenmeanie
01-21-2009, 11:21 AM
I am guessing but am not sure that these receptacles might be the same sizing and spacing as the common UK electrical wall outlets. While a devoice meant for 220V is not going to work with 12V, you might be able to buy a replacement cord for electrical applicances and use that. In the US you can go to the hardware store and by just a cord with the US end on it, so you could probably find the cord and use that for a project.

THis is not the case. The UK national grid is 120V and our plugs are really quite massive affairs comapred to the US style. By law all our plugs are 3 prong with the third pin included to raise the child proofing gate on the wall receptacle which are also individually switched. All plugs are also fused which drives their size to a large degree. It's a somewhat safer system than the blue flash set up in the US and will definitely NOT fit anything on a Rover other than one or two puspose designed receptacles on a Vampire.

Les Parker
01-21-2009, 11:52 AM
I was under the impression UK voltage was 220/240v, on the continent (Europe less British Isles) are 110/120v.
Maybe I have been away toooooooooooooo long?

:confused:

Les Parker
01-21-2009, 12:01 PM
RN has the Auxillary plug :-

RNE850

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-6364-plug-inspection-socket-.aspx

jac04
01-21-2009, 12:08 PM
^^ :eek: :eek: :eek: $52.45 ??!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Terrys
01-21-2009, 12:31 PM
I was under the impression UK voltage was 220/240v, on the continent (Europe less British Isles) are 110/120v.

You are correct Les

greenmeanie
01-21-2009, 12:32 PM

No, You are right. It's been a while since I've given my self a jolt back home. 110/120 here and 240 over there. Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't be doing home wiring projects.

Daurie
01-21-2009, 03:18 PM
^^ :eek: :eek: :eek: $52.45 ??!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow thats what I'm sayin'. I'd be interested in knowing how much cost is and how many they actually sell.

Eric W S
01-21-2009, 03:34 PM
50 bucks? What's the big deal. 500 and I'd say it was expensive, but come on. We're talking abut 50 bucks...

EwS

SafeAirOne
01-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, you can get the plug WITH a military cable in the UK for 10 British Pounds. It'll probably be another 15 Pounds to ship... So you're just about even!

http://www.emlra.org/images/photos/Dash%20Aux%20Plug%20%A310.jpg

S11A
01-21-2009, 04:15 PM
...our plugs are really quite massive affairs comapred to the US style. By law all our plugs are 3 prong ...

Thanks for the correction. I should have said I think the standard for other European countries is the smaller pattern that looks like the plug we are discussing here. I think it is called a Europlug.

http://www.powercords.co.uk/standard.htm

Sorry for any confusion.

I am not sure if this would fit the receptacle on the Land-Rover, but from memory looks pretty close.

TedW
01-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Much bigger.

Blueboy
01-22-2009, 12:20 PM
We're talking abut 50 bucks...

it might be my laptop as I can't see what RN is offering or there just isn't a pic of the product, yet, in either case it is hard to tell if "it" is worth 50 bucks or not.

Jaime

TedW
01-22-2009, 12:35 PM
I don't know why - there isn't that much to them. They can be found regularly on ebay/uk and they are even expensive from there.

Eric W S
01-22-2009, 06:01 PM
it might be my laptop as I can't see what RN is offering or there just isn't a pic of the product, yet, in either case it is hard to tell if "it" is worth 50 bucks or not.

Jaime

A part like that isn't about value. It's a rivet counting purchase to complete your restoration. Not like it's ever going to see any real use aside from tinkering with it or showing it off to another rover nut. :thumb-up:

jimsshuman
01-22-2009, 07:24 PM
i must be way different from some of you because 50 bucks is 50 bucks! thats good money where i come from, recession or no recession. besides that's the type of little gadget that i can piece together for free with the bits rattling around in the dash or behind the seat

Daurie
01-22-2009, 07:52 PM
A part like that isn't about value. It's a rivet counting purchase to complete your restoration. Not like it's ever going to see any real use aside from tinkering with it or showing it off to another rover nut. :thumb-up:

Actually I have to disagree here.. I would like to have the part to replace the rickety homemade one I have on the end of my fan and on the end of my standard 12V power outlet that I plug my phone into. So I'd have to say mine would see regular use.

Also like stated before I'd consider buying one I'f I could see what I was getting and had a little info on it. I could understand 50 bucks a little better if it's an original part or NOS. Maybe RN will consider putting up a little picture and description for us? :thumb-up:

I can make 50 bucks go a ways so I need to know what I'm getting for my money, I don't forsee any of this bailout money or tax breaks coming my way! :rolleyes:

NickDawson
06-01-2009, 10:14 AM
any word on where to buy these cables? What about those accessory pannels I see mounted from time to time - they have a cigerette lighter (or two) as well as a switch and a fuse. Our hosts don't seem to have either.

SeriesShorty
06-01-2009, 11:07 AM
My 24volt FFR truck has the inspection sockets as well. So would mine be 12volt at that connection or 24volt?

Andrew IIA
06-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Came across my 12V acc. plug over the weekend. Here it is; I added the wires. I eventually installed a modern 12v lighter-socket type outlet in an existing hole on the right side of the gauge cluster (facing into the parcel shelf).

Best regard, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88" SW