PDA

View Full Version : Values

Les Parker
01-11-2007, 01:22 PM
So what do folks think that 101 F.C.'s are worth these days?
G.S. versus F.F.R. ?

Les Parker

greenmeanie
01-12-2007, 09:21 AM
The 101 came in several different forms...

GS in 12V and 24V (This equates to FFR on regular Landies)
Radio body (I suspect this is what you mean by FFR)
Ambulance
Vampire
The ultra rare challenger. (never seen one for sale)

As it is getting pretty rare to find an orignal unit at the surplus dealers these days you can expect prices to start rising from the low of a few years ago. Unfortunately, beyond that there are too many variables to state a definitive value for each. Things like its military history (RAF is more desireable than para regt or marines as it won't have been thrown out a Herky bird or driven in the sea). If it was used as a light recovery truck it will have the holes in the rear bed for the lift mounting. This generally equates to a harder life for the drivetrain and suspension. The Nokken winch is a goody that will add value. LHD vs RHD for your location is also a fairly big factor for these trucks. Any 'updates' such as power steering , disc brakes, pink 'hello kitty' paint job etc. are up to the buyer to decide if they are worth any extra but are unlikely to recover the investment the orignial owner put into them. The old 'Over $15k of spent for upgrades on this vehicle' does not mean the buyer has to pay an extra 15K.

As for worth - all CEO's will tell you they are worth exactly what the market will support. Ignoring the vampire and challenger a general rule for vehicles of comparable condition would be.

Radio body>GS12V>GS24V>Ambi.

As far as price goes I've seen everything from $5k to an offer of $32K for mine if I would accept on the spot. (That's highly unrealistic and the bloke had way more money than sense - I didn't accept)

Generally 5K for a dog, 10K is the low end, 15K about average and 20K for something special is about the market for the GS right now. Add or subtract as you see fit for the other body types.

Another thing to bear in mind is, as every 101 owner will tell you, the purchase price is the least of your expenses. You either become a good mechanic or a very poor owner.

Cheers
Gregor

Howard
01-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Sorry Gregor - but the "Challenger" was never a production type - by LandRover or Marshals.
It was an in-service 'kob job' for want of a better term, by the REME boys for the Parachute Regiment. They converted a couple of GS's, as they did with the FRT's for recovery / repair work.

There were many other in-service 'fitments' that get discussed in forums, with the names often getting picked up - like the Challengers... FACE, Millan, etc... These all being weapons or associated systems that were carried by GS's with little or no modification to the base unit.

Howard.

Let me know if you need more info on the above.

greenmeanie
01-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Sorry Howard, but I never claimed the Challenger to be a production unit - only that they existed.

Most of the other 'fitments' would be sold as a 'GS' on the open market unless the seller/buyer is more knowleagable than most. The Challenger is sufficiently different to warrant mention even if both examples are now happily ensconsed in museums IIRC and unlikely to ever come up for sale.

IIA Lightweight
02-21-2007, 07:21 AM
Gooday mate
David Wilkins here.
Ebay #220075912448 "77 GS a twin to what I have my hands on looks like it went to for $9,3000.
Start there as top dollar for that day
Kelly Blue Book says>>>>>>>>> you have to be kidding
Looks like my price just went up.
Take care mate
David

archaeologistjen
04-05-2007, 11:36 AM
I don't know if this helps, but my husband and I bought a '76 101 FC, LHD 12V a few years ago for about $18,000. That might seem on the pricey side, but this was in fantastic condition with only 1,000 original km. It was originally an ambulance, but had been converted to a GS before we got it. We've put a lot of miles on it since then, including some really long road trips, and haven't had many issues... mostly fiddling around with quirks in the electrical system from time to time, but nothing really debilitating.

Les Parker
04-06-2007, 12:55 PM
David,

What ??
Please look after my grandchildrens inheritance.
I'm still waiting for some pix of my future daily driver, I have itchy fingers for working on the "beastie", especially when it is -40 and the wind is blowing and the snow is blasting past my eyes..........:rolleyes: