PDA

View Full Version : Removing the Heater Core

Fitzhugh
01-21-2009, 04:52 PM
I have a few questions which I would be very grateful to have answered. And I'll say at the outset that I'm not exactly a born mechanic or tinkerer.

Firstly, I'm removing the heater core from a 92 RRC and now all that holds it to the car are two hoses leading to the copper and brass pipes. How do I finish the removal process? Are there any precautions that I need to take?

And second: are there any advantages to a 92 fuel injection control unit computer compared to the one in my 90 RRC?

And finally why does Range Rover recommend 28 psi for the front tires and 38 for the rear? On my last rover before I knew better I ran 37 or so all around as instructed by a local service center. Now I stick to the owner's manual's advice.

Thanks in advance for any answers to these questions.

jgkmmoore
02-02-2009, 02:41 PM
So we should figure that you have removed everything in the front seat area from the bottom of the windshield to the floor, except the steering column. If not, please do so now. One weekend may do it. Best to get a chimp and lock it in the truck with some food for about a week. It's the most feared job on a Range Rover. Lotsa hours of just removing and tagging stuff. Don't muck with anything you take out unless it is busted!!!
If you can't slide the two tubes off, cut 'em and replace. Good idea anyway. Be sure all hoses are renewed. You will need a Haynes manual if you can find one. Better than the factory for this process, and cost a lot less.Pray a lot. Especially that you don't bust something else in the process. Several shots of Grey Goose and grapefruit juice BEFORE starting is good.
Don't change out the computer. No advantage.
Tire pressure is personal. I run 28 all around for a smoother ride, and tires are not underinflated at that pressure. When towing a boat on the freeway, I run 32 to firm up the sidewalls, and very slightly improve gas mileage. Removing your fan, in favor of an electric unit reputedly saves more gallons per buck than performance stuff. Your call on that one. Your radiator must be in prime condition to do that and be safe.