PDA

View Full Version : which came first the oil pump or the dizzy

scott
01-21-2009, 10:16 PM
finally slap a few parts back on my 2.25. got the timing cover and water pump on tonight, are there torque specs for those bolts?

next i'm thinking the oil pump but the drive shaft just falls out through the dizzy hole. can the pump be put on, flip the thing over and drop the shaft in through the dizzy hole or should i put the diz on first?

SafeAirOne
01-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Can't help with the oil pump/distributor condundrum, but I did check the SIII bible about the timing cover and water pump torques. There are no listings for these torques in the chart at the beginning of the book or in the write-ups, so you've got to either go with generic torques for the bolt/thread size or use German torque (gutentight).

greenmeanie
01-22-2009, 09:06 AM
From memory these bolts are a mixture of 1/4 and 5/16 but I can't remember if they are course or fine thread.

As a rule from the Standard Handbook of Fastening and Joining
1/4-28 99 inlbs.
1/4-20 78.8 inlbs.

5/16-18 138 inlbs.
5/16-24 147 inlbs.

Before you start snapping bolts note that these values are in inlbs. Divide by 12 for ftlbs. Tolerance should be about 10% of stated value.

scott
01-22-2009, 10:56 AM
thanks guys. i'll go back and check the torque on the 1/4 & 5/16" tonight. i once made a comment on why i love this truck...you don't need a mechanic just a blacksmith to fix it.

last night not having a 1 7/8" socket for my torque wrench i had my 110 lb daughter use a 12" channel lock plyers to lift herself up while gripping the crank pulley dog nut. i figure that put me real close to the 100 ft/lbs of torque.

Oscar
01-22-2009, 08:29 PM
i figure that put me real close to the 100 ft/lbs of torque.

Thought it was 153... could be wrong.

SafeAirOne
01-22-2009, 09:14 PM

In the SIII bible its 150 ft lbs (200 for the diesel). Maybe she could balance her little sister on her shoulders.:D

jp-
01-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Or add 40lb backpack...

scott
01-23-2009, 11:03 AM

dang it...i'll have to recheck, maybe even have to have our 45 lbs staffordshire terrier sit on her shoulders...or i could just go pick up a 1 7/8 socket

daveb
01-23-2009, 04:46 PM
I hav eone book that says 100 and another that says 200. just put it on fawking tight and make sure you don't forget the locking tab. locktite won't hurt either.

if they come loose it can destroy the end of the crank.

dang it...i'll have to recheck, maybe even have to have our 45 lbs staffishire terror sit on her shoulders...or i could just go pick up a 1 7/8 socket

greenmeanie
01-23-2009, 06:00 PM
If it comes loose it runs up the front of the radiator leaving a nice groove for the coolant to pour out of, it takes a healthy chunk out of your radiator shroud and bends the metal fan blades so they treppan the radiator core too.

Oh and the driver has a brown trouser moment from the loud bang.

Don't ask me how I know this. Suffice to say I now use a torque wrench and mean it.

scott
02-01-2009, 01:21 PM
thanks a lot dudes (sarcasim aimed at those who know what they're doing).

i put the oil pump in first then i drop in the oil pump/dizzy drive gear. this was a bear as i couldn't get it to point to #1 and every try meant spinning the motor on its stand so i could wiggle the gear 'til gravity pulled it out, then flip'n the freak'n think over to attempt to drop it in again. did i mention that my stand is a cheap one w/o bearings so that it takes two to spin it?

anyway, after about 15 attemps (all the while wishing the oil pump wasn't in the way so that i could just push the drive gear up and out w/ a mombo screw driver) i settle for having the gear point to a spot between #1 & #2 thinking that maybe my put'n in a 2.5 cam might have affect the correct alignment. and yes i finally remove the oil pump so that for the last 3 attempts so i didn't have to flip the freak'n thing.

then i check the green bible and see the blurb about a "grub screw". dang it! i didn't know that the drive gear doesn't sit all the way down onto the freak'n oil pump drive shaft! when reaching in through the lower oil port with a screw driver and levering the drive gear up to align the dang grub screw hole with the hole in the gear's bushing, the drive gear rotates back towards #1. and yes you smart @$$es will say "you should have read it all before starting".

well if you remember the reason i had to r/r the dang thing is cuz i didn't read the instructions that came with the spin-on oil filter adapter, but it on backwards and fried 2 of the 3 MBs and #3 & #4 rod bearings. it' not that i'm illiterate, it just that i'd rather go get a beer than the manual or instructions when i'm wrenching on this thing.

the happy ending is that it is almost done, looks great, and has giving me countless hours with my teenage son who instead of rolling his eyes and expressing distain for all of the attemps to line up the drive gear, he'd help spin that 500 lbs plus POS over and over and over.

lastly i can't find the grub screw. guess my machinist forgot to throw it in the box of left over parts that he gave me when i picked it up. can't find anyone who sells 'em here in the US. i hear it's a 5/16-28. is that correct? i'm thinking of getting a bolt and cutting the head off and slotting the end. any warnings about this tack out there?