PDA

View Full Version : The Latest RN News...

SafeAirOne
01-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Not really a Series technical topic, but what a great, well-written piece about winches and winching by Bill Burke in the latest RN News. I hope he is going to be a regular columnist--He brings a ton of off-road experience to the publication/advertisement.

Also, congrats to Leslie for being alert while at McDonald's. I wonder if I can get a cup if I spot Mr. Aronson's rover when the new L.L. Bean catalogue comes out? :D

jimsshuman
01-24-2009, 08:51 PM
i agree about the bill burke piece, but please, someone describe what is going on in that large picture of him on page 35 that has shown up in previous editions also. it appears he's daisy chaining rope/dragging his hi lift across the dirt all by his lonesome. i've looked at it several times and can't figure it out. thanks

Leslie
01-24-2009, 10:15 PM
lol, Thanks!

Just a clarification: the kids were watching TV, and I noticed a McDonald's ad related to the new Madagascar movie..... I wasn't AT Mickey D's.... :)

Jeff Aronson
01-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Bill Burke's article was very welcomed and I hope that he will continue to provide the Rovers North News with a regular column on off roading. He's very knowledgable and very well-regarded for his skills and teaching. I'm certainly looking forward to editing more of them :).

I can't explain the photo, either; it was part of a small group of them that he sent into the News. If and when we run other odd photos in the future, we'll try and caption them for clarity.

I can't get a mug, either, for having my Rover in the L.L. Bean catalogue. I'm forced now to declare that this one L.L. Bean Sighting won't be eligible for a mug, just a mention :).

But if anyone else's Rover appears in future catalogues, those Sightings remain eligible for consideration of the Rover North mug.

Jeff

Leslie
01-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Very cool, Jeff....

Oh, PS: I think mine wasn't for the McDonalds one, but was for the REI catalog.....

(It's like throwing darts.... you might not be the first, but, when you see 'em you send 'em, and occasionally you get one.... :) )

Jeff Aronson
01-25-2009, 04:58 PM
If you want to report a Sighting, go to the Contact Us page and fill in the "comments" boxes as indicated.

It's a great contest and a highly entertaining box of mail I get with every issue.

Jeff

Leslie
02-25-2009, 03:43 PM
My wife rec'd her LL Bean catalog today.......

She's flipping through it, and says "Hey, I think I spotted a Rover for you......"

I look at the catalog and study the photo for a moment....

I then proclaim.... "That's a 1966 SIIa.... an 88" one....." at that point, she's impressed... but I then say "That one is Jeff Aronson's....." at which point, she's jaw-dropped....

"You can even tell who's it is??"

Then I fess up......

Jeff Aronson
02-25-2009, 04:04 PM
No need to 'fess up. Your secret would have been safe here :).

I haven't received the L. L. Bean Outdoor Enthusiast one yet - still waiting. And Maine is their home state!

Jeff

Leslie
02-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Oh, I got enough of a chuckle out of it..... :)

Speaking of, did RN ever mail out the last round of mugs? I never got the one for the REI catalog.....

JSBriggs
02-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Oh, I got enough of a chuckle out of it..... :)

Speaking of, did RN ever mail out the last round of mugs? I never got the one for the REI catalog.....

How many do you already have?

I have 1,its my absolute favorite non-travel mug. Still looking for the perfect pot bellied travel mug (ceramic with a lid)

-Jeff

alaskajosh
02-26-2009, 02:36 AM
i agree about the bill burke piece, but please, someone describe what is going on in that large picture of him on page 35 that has shown up in previous editions also. it appears he's daisy chaining rope/dragging his hi lift across the dirt all by his lonesome. i've looked at it several times and can't figure it out. thanks

I think it's a demonstration on using a hi-lift as a hand winch and at the same time showing how to shorten, or customize the length of, a plasma extension line for use with same. He daisy chains it to the needed length and then sticks a wrench, hitch-pin, whatever, in the last loop to hold it there.
The only way I knew to use a hi-lift for pulling, previous to seeing this trick, was to use a choker chain to make up the right length.

Kind regards, Josh

Leslie
02-26-2009, 07:25 AM
How many do you already have?

I have 1,its my absolute favorite non-travel mug. Still looking for the perfect pot bellied travel mug (ceramic with a lid)

-Jeff

I only have one, this one would be my second..... it'd be nice to have one at home and one at the office.

I don't intend to have a "full set", lol, but, I would like to have an extra one at home, too, eventually....

TSR53
02-26-2009, 08:33 AM
If you want to report a Sighting, go to the Contact Us page and fill in the "comments" boxes as indicated.

It's a great contest and a highly entertaining box of mail I get with every issue.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I've also set up a sticky thread location here to post sightings >>
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5776

Mountain132
03-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Good chapter from a military driving/recovery manual that compliments the article