PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Master Cylinder Replacement Again

Jim-ME
01-25-2009, 08:51 AM
I've done a search and will be taking the wing off as I'm convinced that it is the only sensible way to go. My concern is getting the bolts of of the bulkhead where the wing attaches. Should I go ahead and order new bolts and spire nuts? Will an impact wrench do a better job of getting them out than a socket and ratchet? It's so cold that I don't think PB Blaster will help much. I've got a new MC and hard line. Should I use teflon tape or some kind of thread sealer on the ends of the hard line? Is there supposed to be some kind of sealing washer on the ends of the hard line? The Green Bible really doesn't show one or say much. Thanks in advance,
Jim

Jeff Aronson
01-25-2009, 11:10 AM
My experience is that when I do not order spare bolts, that's when I snap them. When I have them on hand, I usually don't have problems :).

Impact wrenches will remove them but might be more likely to snap them off, too. PB Blaster does work in cold weather; I've used it often in the winters here.

I've read often not to use Teflon tape on gas or brake fluid lines. I can't remember my clutch MC replacement, but when I replaced other brake lines with Land Rover parts recently, there were no sealing washers included. The lines threaded together so tightly that there was no leakage at all.

I'm sure someone reading this thread will have more recent experience than me and can answer this with certainty.

Jeff

SafeAirOne
01-25-2009, 01:31 PM
I have found that the threads are so coarse that they don't give me any trouble when I take them off, however, the threads tend to break off in chunks here and there, so If they've been on a while, it's probably a good idea to have a relplacement or two standing by--They don't like to thread back in or hold properly with thread segments missing.

As for the impact gun--I probably wouldn't use it--You have decent, straight-line access to the 4 bolts with the right combination of extensions, and the contact area between the spire nut and bolt is tiny, so there shouldn't be heavy resistance.

LndRvr64
01-25-2009, 05:28 PM
I did not use any type of thread sealant when I replaced my MC a year ago. It did not leak, but I am working through other problems with the system that members of the forum have been assisting with recently. I did not remove the wing when I replaced my MC. Half way through the process I was questioning why I didn't. It is doable, but you have to be a little bit of a contortionist. Was busy with other things this weekend, so no progress on my clutch problems as of yet. Good luck.

SafeAirOne
01-25-2009, 05:47 PM
I have found that the threads are so coarse...

This was, of course, in reference to the bolts holding the wing to the bulkhead, NOT the clutch MC lines...

Donnie
01-25-2009, 06:27 PM
I've done a search and will be taking the wing off as I'm convinced that it is the only sensible way to go. My concern is getting the bolts of of the bulkhead where the wing attaches. Should I go ahead and order new bolts and spire nuts? Will an impact wrench do a better job of getting them out than a socket and ratchet? It's so cold that I don't think PB Blaster will help much. I've got a new MC and hard line. Should I use teflon tape or some kind of thread sealer on the ends of the hard line? Is there supposed to be some kind of sealing washer on the ends of the hard line? The Green Bible really doesn't show one or say much. Thanks in advance,
Jim
no sealer needed on the lines, the flare seals, though I like a tiny bit of never sieze on the threads, be careful not to get it into the system, only on the threads..