PDA

View Full Version : they sold it!!??

jimsshuman
01-25-2009, 10:51 AM
i just went back this weekend and read all 4 parts of the 'born free redux' articles and can't believe they had to sell the rover. can't imagine how difficult that must have been! my series took me effortlessly, yet slowly, from albuquerque, nm to raleigh, nc and has barely ran in the 2+ years since and i'd have a hard time selling it. great series tho, really enjoyed it.
mw

Jeff Aronson
01-25-2009, 11:00 AM
I just got a nice email from Louise Orlando; she and her husband are in Ecuador right now. They are not done with Land Rovers; they tell me there's one waiting for them at their home in Virginia. And, of course, it's not that inexpensive to ship a Land Rover to the United States from South Africa.

I quite enjoyed editing and reading the entire series of articles, too. Isn't it wonderful to connect with adventurous people through the shared enthusiasm for Land Rovers?

Jeff

jimsshuman
01-25-2009, 11:10 AM
most definitely. also makes me want to get out there and go for something. do something that makes me happy. something besides going to work and coming home and complaining about it everyday.
great work. thanks
mw

Louise
01-25-2009, 11:14 AM
It was awful making the decision to sell our LR, but we didn't really have a choice. We were broke and had been offered jobs in NYC where the rent alone to store her was nearly as much as renting an apartment. (There is no way anyone could leave a car like that on the street!) We had reports that she was spotted back in Kenya. If anyone sees her, please let us know.

ShootingCar
01-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Louise,
You are an inspiration to all of us to go follow your dreams and explore. As a really big newbie to being a Land Rover owner, I feel that I am completely out of my element just thinking about basic maintenance. Yet, here you and Andrew are out there rebuilding your differential with lipstick!

My daughter, who is at UC-Berkeley, and has written an article for the Double Gun Journal, shares my love for hunting and for our '69 Series IIa - SWB. She has read some of your articles while home from school and suggested that we take ours on a trek across Africa, etc. She also keeps trying to get me to send it to her in California.

Anyway, thanks Louise for daring us all to dream.

Jeff Pearl

Tim Smith
01-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Yes. Thank you Louise. Your stories are great! :thumb-up:

bmohan55
01-27-2009, 10:00 AM
I agree, an inspiring story. A Rover being used with purpose. Makes me feel foolish puddle-jumping mine just for fun.