PDA

View Full Version : Voltage Regulator/Alternator Question

Bertha
01-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Can someone outline what modification is needed to the voltage regulator when you switch out the generator for an alternator. This is for a late 2a which is wired negative ground. I have done this in the past, but it was a while ago and I forgot what the process was, any help would be appreciated.

Leslie
01-26-2009, 03:52 PM
http://www.bayourovers.com/trick12.html

Jeff Aronson
01-26-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm puzzled. When you have a negative ground late II-A, you should have an alternator installed already, not a generator.

Am I wrong? Did some late II-A's with negative ground come with generators?

Thanks,

Jeff

Bertha
01-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Leslie-Good info but doesnt address dealing with the voltage regulator. I know there is a way keep it in the truck while changing some wiring that goes to it.

Bertha
01-26-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm puzzled. When you have a negative ground late II-A, you should have an alternator installed already, not a generator.

Thanks,

Jeff

Late 2a's came with generators wired negative ground. BTW nice photo shoot.

superstator
01-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Why not just get an internally regulated alternator?

jac04
01-26-2009, 05:17 PM
When I did the conversion a long time ago on a late IIA, Rovers North faxed me the instructions. IIRC, it involves running a few 'jumper' wires on the external regulator. Have you tried contacting RN?

leafsprung
01-26-2009, 05:22 PM
1) cut the old connections between the terminals on the back
2) solder jumpers between D,A and A1
3)move ignition warning lamp circuit from D to F
4)connect charge circuit from Alt to D
5) reconnect A and A1 wires

This will convert the regulator to a junction box for use with an internally regulated alternator such as a delco 10si.

Bertha
01-26-2009, 05:26 PM

This will convert the regulator to a junction box for use with an internally regulated alternator such as a delco 10si.

Thanks Ike-I knew you would come through with the answer I needed.

Donnie
01-26-2009, 06:29 PM

Thanks,

Jeff
Yes Jeff, my 1967 6 cly 109 RHD came with a generator.. I changed it to a GM 10si...............Donnie

CliftonRover
01-27-2009, 12:38 AM
sounds like the advice you got is right on. i had rovers north fax me the wiring diagram for he alternator conversion. it is easy.

Leslie
01-27-2009, 07:22 AM
Leslie-Good info but doesnt address dealing with the voltage regulator. I know there is a way keep it in the truck while changing some wiring that goes to it.

Gotcha; I knew Bayou Jim's pages had several things related to alternators, ground conversion, etc.... the voltage regulator modifications isn't something I'd dealt with, as I replaced my alt w/ a Delco, the starter solenoid with a standard one like a winch has (akin to the common Ford type), and I don't have an external voltage regulator. Now that I see what Ike posted, it's vaguely familiar, as in, I may have seen reference to such a decade ago, but nothing I'd dealt with....

Jeff Aronson
01-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Donnie,

This is really interesting. Your 109" 6-cylinder would, of course, been a home market car.

Bertha, did the Rover-imported 2.25 cars also have a negative ground generator?

Thanks,

Jeff

109 Pretender
01-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Jeff,
My 67 109 NADA 6 cyl. orig. equip. was a generator (1st year for neg. gnd in British car industry). Perhaps some IIB (68-69) Rovers had alternators. I think series III all had alternators. You know how the manufacturers sorta "bleed over" some parts between model changes - wouldn't surprise me that Rover might have used what they had ready for the Series III at the end of the IIB run.

Cheers!

Bertha
01-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Donnie,

This is really interesting. Your 109" 6-cylinder would, of course, been a home market car.

Bertha, did the Rover-imported 2.25 cars also have a negative ground generator?

Thanks,

Jeff

I think that anything up to the series 3 had a generator. Negative ground started with the late 2a(possibly as early as the bug-eye) from what I recall.

leafsprung
01-27-2009, 11:25 AM
An alternator was an option on earlier land rovers. A rectified AC alternator system was also an option. The generator was still used on late SIIA trucks with negative ground. Negative ground SIIAs are identified by the black instrument panel and the single wiper system. 68 was the introductory year for standard land rovers (though some 67s were also neg ground) and sported a generator just like the previous models.

Mountain132
02-19-2009, 09:00 PM
IKE wrote

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.alternator.installation.html states

Now move to the regulator. Looking at the regulator from the front the connections from left to right are:
E - Ground D - Large Charge light - Small F - Small A - Large A1 - Large If you happen to have the Spring 1990 Rovers North flyer with the alternator conversion instructions, you will notice that the connections are listed in reverse order. That is because they are listing the connections as they appear from the BACK of the regulator. This would be difficult to see unless you unbolt and flip over the regulator or hail from the planet Krypton.
Change the F connector from a female to a male and connect to the Charge Light connector. Connect A1, A, and D together (if you can locate large 3/8" male spade connectors you can make a neat 3-way junction and save yourself the hassle of splicing the 3 together - you don't have much room here) and your done (make sure all connections are well insulated and solder them together). If you cannot find the spade connectors (I couldn't) wrap the 3 together and solder them securely.

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.alt_alternators.html states
6. Disconnecting and jumpering the old dynamo control box:

There are connections on the old control box that need to be jumpered, else the current's not going to go where you want. There are two different control boxes used on early Series vehicles, a 3-wire and a 5-wire, and I'll detail the changes needed for both here.

What you need to do here is leave the original wiring intact, and reroute the +12 volts around the connections once made by the control box. Typically, the only one you need to worry about is the connection between the fusebox and the ignition switch, and the wiring to + 12 for the accessory lead plugs.

On the 3-wire box (typically early + ground Diesel installations)

No modifications needed. Disconnect and insulate the terminals and wire-tie them to the harness neatly.

5-wire dynamo control box in a 2.25L Petrol negative earth installation, as well as 2.25 and 2.6 L IIB Forward Control:

Remove the two leads from lug A1 and tie together, then insulate. Remove and tie together the two leads from A and insulate. The F, D, and E leads can be insulated and tied down, as they are disconnected.

5-wire dynamo control box in a 6-cyl Petrol negative earth installation, as well as later negative-earth Diesel:

The two brown wires on the B terminals need to be tied together and insulated. The F, W/L, D and E can be insulated and tied down separately as they are disconnected.

Is everyone saying pretty much the same thing? Not fully understanding the conversion.

Thanks

TSR53
02-19-2009, 09:47 PM
More data...
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/t-technical-info-tips-alternator-conversion-wiring.aspx

Land Rover Series Alternator Conversion Wiring
1 Disconnect battery.

2 Remove old generator.

3 Mount the alternator conversion kit.

4 Mount alternator.

Rewiring at Alternator

5 Connect D wire from original wiring to large positive terminal on alternator.

6 Connect F wire from original generator wiring to IND terminal on alternator (small terminal).

Rewiring at Regulator Using Existing Wire
7 Remove F wire from voltage regulator and small charge light wire from D terminal and connect together for IND light circuit.

8 Remove the large D wire from the regulator and connect it to A and A1 wires from the regulator.

*Soldering is recommended for all connections.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/topics/land-rover-series-alternator-conversion.jpg

Mountain132
02-19-2009, 10:17 PM
thanks, very helpful