PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Videos of Donuts and Other Rover Antics!

Calef
01-27-2009, 08:49 AM
The oppressive cold and ice here in VT can get you down, so i have taken to working on my Donut/ drifting techniques every morning when i get to work :D This morning we took a quick video, which by no means reflects my best work, just my first attempt on video. Not the most impressive footage ever, unless you consider that most of the turns are made in 1/2 to 2/3 the normal turning radius of the 110!
tnpqzCS-6v0

Do you have donut skills or other talents in Land Rover antics? :thumb-up: Show them off! Post a reply with your own video. For instruction on how to embed videos in the Rovers North Forum ----> http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2019&postcount=2

CliftonRover
01-27-2009, 02:31 PM
I will take the 109 out tonight and try to find a place to do some donuts. It will be a couple 200 tdi guys though, where are the guys with the 4.6's?

Terrys
01-29-2009, 05:43 AM
Calef, the doughnuts were ok, but I was especially impressed with your parking technique. It reminded me of that Audi ad on TV.

TCongletonRovers
01-29-2009, 09:44 AM
u have learned well my son

Firemanshort
01-29-2009, 10:43 AM
I have a hard time drifting with the full time 4x4 of my Rover. We need to see some loose efforts from the part-time Series guys.

CliftonRover
01-29-2009, 02:14 PM
I am working on getting someone to film me, hopefully later today

Calef
02-03-2009, 12:34 PM
I have a hard time drifting with the full time 4x4 of my Rover. We need to see some loose efforts from the part-time Series guys.
My truck is full time 4WD. I used to think it was not possible until T. Congleton of T. Congleton Rovers gave me a demonstration. :cool: You just need to get some speed, then initiate the turn to get some sideways momentum and grab the E-brake. That gets you spinning/ sliding sideways, at which point you CAN keep on the gas but you are just going to spin and go sideways. So you gotta come off the throttle for a second to get traction back then feather the throttle on and off as you are looking for enough traction to pull you forward and get momentum in a circe, not just spin wheels as you slide sideways. Of course you also want to keep it drifting so you push a little too much gas to get the wheels spinning again, then back off again to find traction, thus "feathering" the gas.

In a snowy (3"-9" of fresh snow) open and flat parking lot where there is really, really poor traction i have been able to do donuts in my truck where the vehicle is completely sideways with the front end going around what looks like a 10-15 foot diameter with really consistent size and shape. In good conditions i can keep that going pretty much until i get sick of going around in the same circle.

I find the difficulty in that donut is initiation it as it needs to be super slippery so once you get up any speed the truck just wants to keep going straight.... so you gotta coax it into a turn with a little E-Brake but not too much. It is not like the slides i was doing in the movie (where the traction really was pretty good)... you are just trying to get it to turn a bit, once you get it turning mash the gas to bring it around then back off... keep feathering the throttle it just goes around like a top. :D

NOTE... for any of these antics you need to have your center dif-lock open so you can keep the gas on while the E-Brake is on, so the X-fer box puts power to the front wheels and once it is initiated you want the easiest to spin spinning.:thumb-up:

CAUTION! Resist the urge to keep your steering at full lock while you are spinning like a top or doing any donuts for that matter as that is hard on the power steering. :nono: Once you get it spinning, the wheel position does not really matter too much so you might as well not stress the power steering.

TSR53
02-03-2009, 03:10 PM
wxEqS263LW8

m3oLgYXFzRg

RzA2CNw37uc

CliftonRover
02-03-2009, 03:12 PM
I bet the CV's don't like being under that much stress at full lock either, mine just let me know they didn't like it. the driver side cv exploded doing a twisty hill climb.

Calef
02-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Thompson, good find on those videos. :thumb-up: The last one closely resembles the Donut I was describing. I wonder how they were able to fool the L322's computers into allowing those sort of shenanigans.

Terrys
02-04-2009, 02:20 PM
I wonder how they were able to fool the L322's computers into allowing those sort of shenanigans.

It was probably broken. Kinda like his muffler, only different.

TSR53
02-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Some reason I just get a kick outta watching these, can't help it here's more... (sorry a tad off 'Land Rover antics' topic, oh well).

Those kids on the beach in the first vid. "Let's just try to blow up this Series tractor with blowing donuts!" and they almost dump it on it side too. Reminds me growing up we dropped a Ford 3.0 V6 into a Courier pick up and used to pour bleach all over the rear tires. Smoke show.

I bet THESE CV joints or the Getrag gearbox are worn more after this! pretty funny...
DspNn6NwgxQ

I guess I've almost perfected the rallye e-brake 180deg parking job in my MINI Cooper S in our parking lot? I've been doing this everyday for the last two weeks straight.

Hmmm although, I do have my Audi S6 and those Audi quattros sure can blow donuts - and you don't even need snow...
RKkifGbYoz0

TSR53
02-04-2009, 08:29 PM
back on topic... Land Rovers in the snow