PDA

View Full Version : Starter Problem?

ChrisB
01-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Another one of my typical, rookie questions. :o Temp has dropped a good bit here in Birmingham over the past month, and I haven't had a chance to run my IIA as much recently as I would like.

Unable to start her last weekend, I jump started fine, ran her around town, and started again after parking with no problem. Yesterday, I had to jump start again, let her idle for 10 minutes, then turned off to see if I could re-start without a jump.

When I tried to re-start, I could not. With the key in, the heater came on, I could turn on turn signals, and other electrical components. However, when I turned the key to start, I got a quick/rapid, "clicking" sound but the engine would not attempt to turn over.

Is this a starter problem? Other diagnoses?

Thanks!:thumb-up:

greenmeanie
01-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Clicking is the solenoid attempting to activate the strter which is not turning. Starters require a lot of grunt in comparison to everything else which is why the leads are so large. You lights and heater will work long after your your starter has run out of puff. Check your battery voltage. If it's less than about 11.5V then your starter just won't turn. Once you've determined that you then have to look at the cause. Usual suspects:
- Check the ground and clean it up.
- Once you've jumped her do a charge system check to se if you're generating enough juice to charge the battery.
- How old is the battery. Charge it up and leave it over night and then check the charge again in the morning.
- Some people have problems with the bendix jamming and not engaging but it sounds like once you have enough juice yours is working.
- Finally and most unlikely check the cable from the solenoid to the starter for damaged insulation causing it to ground out. You can use your jump leads to connect the battery directly to the starter to eliminate this as a suspect.

ChrisB
01-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Clicking is the solenoid attempting to activate the strter which is not turning. Starters require a lot of grunt in comparison to everything else which is why the leads are so large. You lights and heater will work long after your your starter has run out of puff. Check your battery voltage. If it's less than about 11.5V then your starter just won't turn. Once you've determined that you then have to look at the cause. Usual suspects:
- Check the ground and clean it up.
- Once you've jumped her do a charge system check to se if you're generating enough juice to charge the battery.
- How old is the battery. Charge it up and leave it over night and then check the charge again in the morning.
- Some people have problems with the bendix jamming and not engaging but it sounds like once you have enough juice yours is working.
- Finally and most unlikely check the cable from the solenoid to the starter for damaged insulation causing it to ground out. You can use your jump leads to connect the battery directly to the starter to eliminate this as a suspect.

Excellent. Thanks!:thumb-up:

Jeff Aronson
01-30-2009, 11:18 AM
I found a digital multimeter at NAPA for $10. It's helped me diagnose a number of similar problems since its purchase. It's well worth the money.

It really does sound like your problem is that the battery is not holding a charge or not receiving a charge from the generator/alternator. Also, check the battery terminals where the cables attach to the battery. Remove the cables, clean the terminals really well, and the inside of the cable ends, too. You may have a working charging system but if the cables/terminals are too dirty, it's not recharging successfully.

This could be real simple.

Jeff

Jeff

siii8873
02-27-2009, 05:02 PM
I had a similar problem. I removed cleaned and reinstalled all the connections from the battery to the starter, and the ground to the frame and it ahs worked well ever since.

Donnie
02-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Another one of my typical, rookie questions. :o Temp has dropped a good bit here in Birmingham over the past month, and I haven't had a chance to run my IIA as much recently as I would like.

Unable to start her last weekend, I jump started fine, ran her around town, and started again after parking with no problem. Yesterday, I had to jump start again, let her idle for 10 minutes, then turned off to see if I could re-start without a jump.

When I tried to re-start, I could not. With the key in, the heater came on, I could turn on turn signals, and other electrical components. However, when I turned the key to start, I got a quick/rapid, "clicking" sound but the engine would not attempt to turn over.

Is this a starter problem? Other diagnoses?

Thanks!:thumb-up:
After charging your battery, I assume it is full of liquid, and it keeps running down when you think the system is charging, Some times the rapid clicking of the solenoid can indicate a faulty cell in the batt. itself. If you have removable caps on your battery, remove them , check level,
Then if your solenoid is clicking, AND one of your cells is off color or gassing, your battery has expired
USE CAUTION WHEN DOING THIS AS THE GASSING CELL IS HYDROGEN AND WILL EXPLODE IF EXPOSED TO ANY SPARK, PLUG WIRE, LOOSE TERMINAL ETC.