PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case front output shaft

cachinfool
02-01-2009, 02:42 PM
After a bit over a year in storage I finally got my 1969 88” SIIa home about a month ago and have been tinkering with it, got the clutch unfrozen, repaired the dynamo (broken brush spring) and started replacing the fluids. Well I guess it's true that if it ain't leaking it's empty because as soon as I filled the transfer case it started dripping out the front output shaft. Well upon further investigation I found that the front prop shaft was just flopping around. Turns out a PO must have decided that the cotter pin that goes on the output shaft to make sure the nut doesn't come off wasn't all that important. So anyway my dilemma is that the threads on the output shaft and the nut are bunged up. I really don’t want to pull this all out if I don’t have to and was hopping I could just chase the threads on the shaft with a die.
So anyway after my life story my question is does anyone know the diameter and thread of the output shaft so I can get the right size die? I’m assuming I can just buy a new nut, washer & cotter pin.
Thanks,
Jeff-

I Leak Oil
02-01-2009, 03:50 PM
I think it's a british thread, making the chances of finding a die more troublesome. You could use a thread file to clean them up.
Jason T.