PDA

View Full Version : Water water everywhere...

dISCOISdead
01-12-2007, 03:06 PM
My '96 Disco is leaking everywhere in the rain. Here's a typical morning in the rain: I back up out of the driveway and the rain that managed to leak into the moonroof compartments starts drizzling out the button console. Water is now all over the front dashboard and the baby sitting in the backseat. Then I put it in drive and water starts squirting down from around the top of the passenger and driver side windows.

I'm ready to take the caulk gun to the insides of the moonroof and the gutters; but I'm likely to screw something up unless anyone can provide much needed advice. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Bostonian1976
01-12-2007, 03:46 PM
I don't have much experience with Discoveries, but this very same thing happened to me on my VW GTI and it was the gutters that were clogged. There are drain holes up in the sunroof that drain down somewhere....find both of those points and make sure they're not clogged

Buddy
01-13-2007, 08:39 AM
This sounds like a leaking sun roof but the older Discos are also known for D Pillar leaks and alpine window leaks before they where redesigned. But those would mostly show just in the back of the rover. Also another spot I found on my rover was the mounting points for the factory roof rack.

Since you have the leaking in the front also I would say you have more then just the D Pillar/ Alpine window leak. So I would drop the headliner. This is about an hour job. But not too difficult. Then check all the drain lines on the sun roof for cracks and being clogged. Also check the roof rack mounts.

Then go to www.discoweb.org and do a search for leaks on the board. Don't post about it until after you have done several searches and read all the suggeted solutions unless you want to get flamed for not searching because this toppic has been covered many many times.

Anyway good luck.

singingcamel
01-15-2007, 02:09 PM
:thumb-up: look closely at the front corners of your sun roof when its opened, there may be drain holes at each corner,blow them out with air. my r.rover gets plugged time to time and all i do is blow it out, thats if your sun roof is the same , i think they are,