PDA

View Full Version : exhaust manifold w/butterfly diverter

scott
02-03-2009, 12:23 AM
i've got an exh manifold that has a butterfly diverter that's supposed to direct the exhaust towards the intake maniflod when its cold to help wrm the intake faster. my shop manual shows a thing called "hot spot" which has a bi-metal spring and counter wieght that automatically opens and closes this butterfly as the engine warms. does anyone know where you can buy these "hot spot components?

Eric W S
02-03-2009, 08:03 AM
If our hosts don't have it then Dunsfold might.

Or put a want ad up on the series 2 club board...

graniterover
02-03-2009, 10:46 AM
On the manifold I just removed, I had this valve. All the parts were rusty and not functioning. The truck still started with no choke at 20 degrees and ran great. Not sure I'd even want that in there. The later manifold I'm replacing it with does not have that.

scott
02-03-2009, 11:03 AM
thanks guys, i sent a msg off to that dunfold place. i was thinking of making a manual control. mabye a good spring to keep it in the closed position with a cable that ties into the choke cable.

jp-
02-03-2009, 05:32 PM
There is no need for it. I made a plate to go between my manifolds. I think the cooler the air coming into the engine the better. Unless you live in the frozen tundra and have a real problem with carb icing.

yorker
02-03-2009, 05:37 PM
it is just an added complexity you probably don't need, I think it was eliminated on later trucks (?). All it is is a heat riser valve.