PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Slave Cylinder Install

VTRover
02-04-2009, 07:58 PM
I changed out my clutch master cylinder tonight. (200tdi with an LT77) It takes about an hour if you are handy. The hardest part is getting to the bottom bolt on the master you have to go up through the interior where the clutch pedal is and it helps if you can get a box wrench on the nut and then secure it from the engine compartment with your fingers or a screw driver. The adjuster nuts on the clutch piston are supposed to be adjusted with about an inch of thread showing on the shaft (generally speaking). Bleeding the slave with a vac pump is just about useless. You will need an assistant to pump and hold the pedal. The bleeder is on the bell housing on the drivers side. All and all it's a pretty easy repair.

daveb
02-05-2009, 07:30 AM
errr...

slave cylinder is at the bottom near the transmission. master cylinder is on the tower attached to the pedal.

adjust the nuts for correct pedal freeplay, not how much thread is showing. it is rather important as lack of freeplay can cause the throwout bearing to die an early death, kind of like driving with your foot resting on the clutch pedal.

I changed out my clutch slave cylinder tonight. (200tdi with an LT77) It takes about an hour if you are handy. The hardest part is getting to the bottom bolt on the slave you have to go up through the interior .... The adjuster nuts on the clutch piston are supposed to be adjusted with about an inch of thread showing on the shaft.