PDA

View Full Version : Steering Column Removal

hueske
02-04-2009, 11:10 PM
What is the best way to remove the column? I am removing everything to take off the bulkhead. The exploded diagrams don't exactly show me where to start. Thanks.

greenmeanie
02-04-2009, 11:50 PM
You should start by attempting to separate the arm off the end of the spline on the box. It should have lock tabs just to make life a little more interesting. Once you have finished swearing at that there are four screws that mount the steering box to the bulkhead support.

At the other end you have the steering wheel and indicator stalk to remove. After that it depends on which series you have. I've never really looked at a SIII but on a IIA there is a metal bracket that you simply slacken off every bolt you can find. You only really need to do the two on that clamp the column to the bracket. Finally, you may find you need to remove the seal plate on the bulkhead itself. The seal on mine was so rotten I just pulled it through.

At this point I think the Haynes manual says "Now simply remove the steering column."

leafsprung
02-05-2009, 02:19 AM
If you have a SII/SIIA. You can remove the spash gaurd, seperate the upper drag link at the drop arm, remove the the bolts holding the bulkhead support to the frame and firewall and remove the complete assembly including the steering box, drop arm, bulkhead support etc etc as one peice. (once you have detached the steering wheel all of the fittings in the cab) through the bottom of the fender. This is helpful when the drop arm is difficult to seperate or if the bolts securing the box to the bulkhead support are difficult to remove.

hueske
02-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the info. Apparently, late last night, in poor lighting, I thought that lower clamp on the bottom of the column, was welded on. Removing it will let it side into the engine bay. I knew there had to be an easier way than total disassembly.

amcordo
03-26-2010, 09:26 PM
For removing the steering wheel: what size is this nut? http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1921-nut-steering-wheel-series-iia-iii.aspx

I need to get a ratchet thing for it and I don't have one that big.

Thanks!

amcordo
03-27-2010, 08:55 PM
It's a one inch nut.

I NEED HELP:
I can't get the darned steering column off the bulkhead. More specifially I can't remove the arm from the splines just off the steering box. It's stuck on. Any suggestions?

scott
03-27-2010, 09:51 PM
a two arm wheel puller. see the two tabs? ya gotta hook them

amcordo
03-28-2010, 08:53 AM
a two arm wheel puller. see the two tabs? ya gotta hook them

THanks Scott! Any idea where I would find one for this use? Are they all one size fits all?

amcordo
03-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Never mind. Answered my own question. The gear remover that I got from Sears works fine for removing the arms of the steering column. It's a two armed one for $30.