PDA

View Full Version : Electronics and capstan winchs

PH4
01-13-2007, 11:14 AM
It is my understanding that adding additional electric products such as stereo or winchs can place a strain on a series electrical system and cause failure. Is this correct? Do I need to make changes to the electrical systems before installing auxillary products? I have two rovers. One is a 62 and the other a 72.

Also, which winch is better for a series, capstan or electric. Like the look of the capstan but is it really practical when compared to a new electric winch?

Leslie
01-13-2007, 07:48 PM
A) Depends on what you're going to add. A good battery is key, and use relays for anything extra installed. If you're talking a pair of Hella 500's, you'll be cool. If you're talking about using a 10k worm electric winch all day long, you'll want a dual battery setup and an upgraded alternator. Build to suit.

B) Select your winch by use. If you're going to not use it and want it on the front of your Series to look cool, pick what you like. If you want it to be period, a capstan would be fine; as would a PTO (such as a Koenig); but a Warn 8274 would be fine too.

If you're going to *use* the winch, then think about it more. Do you want to sit in one location and winch lots of vehicles out of a hole, I'd suggest a PTO winch. If you want to use it for self-recovery, I would prefer an electric.

Pros/Cons of each: an electric can smoke your electrical system, may need cooling occasionally, but it can run w/o the engine off. A PTO can be run all day long, but is more mechanically complex and won't work if you can't get the vehicle started (ie, bogged in a waterhole, or on its side). If you were going to be sledding logs around, a capstan might be ideal, but isn't as friendly for recovery.

FWIW, I've got a Koenig, but it is an electric instead of a PTO version.

I Leak Oil
01-14-2007, 08:27 AM
As far as electrical, go with an alternator instead of a generator in the '62, upgrade to a higher output alt. on the '72. Don't tie any new electrical circuit into the existing wiring. It's old and under designed to begin with. Add a seperate fuse panel and run new stuff off of that.

Capstan winches aren't practical. There are plenty of pro's and con's to a PTO, hydraulic or electric winch. This subject has been beaten to death and I'm sure you can find plenty of threads relating to it.
Jason T.

Leslie
01-14-2007, 07:06 PM
This subject has been beaten to death and I'm sure you can find plenty of threads relating to it.

Ah, but Jason, it's a brand new world! Can you find the old posts? We get to re-hash out everything, all over again!

:p

I Leak Oil
01-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Leslie, you are correct! Here we go....Original vs. Parabolic, Grease vs. 90wt in the swivels, plastic dash vs. steel, SIIa tranny vs. SIII...Am I forgetting anything?
Jason T.

TSR53
01-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Guinness vs ... ? :gulp:

Leslie, you are correct! Here we go....Original vs. Parabolic, Grease vs. 90wt in the swivels, plastic dash vs. steel, SIIa tranny vs. SIII...Am I forgetting anything?
Jason T.

Leslie
01-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Guinness vs ... ? :gulp:

Both! :p

Detroit versus ARB, whites in versus whites out, SWB versus LWB, petrol versus diesel... the list goes on and on!!!! :D

Rod Turnbull
01-16-2007, 11:52 PM
Did we ever get a link to the old post? No? Is there going to be one? Or maybe they could get dumped on a disk and may available through RN for a small fee?

Rod