PDA

View Full Version : Swaybar disconnects?

geatlander
02-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Swaybar Disconnects? Greetings ya'll,
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with swaybar disconnects for a D90. I have seen them for Discos and RRs, but not for a Defender.

Is it impossible to do this on a Defender because the swaybar links are so short? http://landroversonly.com/forums/images/smilies/dunno.gif

Has anyone simply removed their swaybars? My old '89 RRC had no swaybars..as a result, it didn't exactly handle like a BMW (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/#) whilst cornering.

Thanks for the input,
Jason

1995 NAS Defender 90 S/W
"The Best 4X4XFar"

CliftonRover
02-06-2009, 01:06 AM
I would say it depends on how you drive and the springs/weight distribution of your truck. my classic is lifted 5 inches and with no sway-bars its manageable but the springs are extra heavy duty old man emu's. a softer spring would make things tougher.

benderjoshua
02-07-2009, 02:02 PM
i found some sweet homemade swaybar disconnects on D-90.com but I have 35's on my D90 and heavy duty OME springs and have taken my swaybars off and I have no problems with it at all. Its still goes 75mph and handles just fine but I also have the RN aluminum wheel spacers which widen the track. There are easy to take off and on so take em off and see how you like it. I still can't figure out why no one has some commercially available?

109 Pretender
02-10-2009, 07:52 AM
I suspect product liability is the issue and maybe the DOT. Disconnects would be construed to degrade the on-road handling characteristics of the vehicle. Offroad is 'open season' and disconnects do give more articulation. Ck out Rovertyme - I think I've seen them on their webpg. PS - don't get in a collision and have an insurance investigator find the swaybars disconnected - better to remove them altogether if you know what I mean...

cheers!

spacemutt
02-15-2009, 04:35 AM
Do you mean what we call anti-roll bars? The U shaped bar that attaches to the chassis and axle? If so they can be removed. Not all the Defenders had them fitted when new here. They can be removed to allow greater axle movement when off-road.