PDA

View Full Version : crankshaft pulley

griswald
02-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Ok,
Tacky question, but I have found a pretty good buy on an aftermarket crankshaft pulley. The question is are they worth buying?

(I am considering a purchase as the front seal is bad, and I do not know if I will need a pulley)

I don't know about speedy sleaves either (Like what size do I need, where to purchase, how to install)

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!

Best,
Griswald

gudjeon
02-06-2009, 09:55 AM
If your pulley can be had for under $60, then I would go for it instead of speedi-sleeving an old one. When I need a sleeve, I take the offending part down to my local industrial bearing/seal supplier. Napa even supplies these types of things. I let them do the measuring. If the groove is deep, I apply some JB Weld to fill in the groove as the seal will eventually depress the sleeve back into the worn profile without a filler. The sleeve has a rip-away collar that aids in installation. In some case, you will need a piece of tubing to help install. They just tap on and not very difficult to install. Placement is the important part. Just remeber to install while the JB has not yet set.:rolleyes:

jac04
02-06-2009, 11:14 AM
I believe that our hosts also sell a sleeve kit.

Les Parker
02-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Yes, we do :-

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2490-speedi-sleeve-crankshaft.aspx

In stock, ready to ship

:thumb-up:

gudjeon
02-06-2009, 04:28 PM
That's a good price for a speedi sleeve. :thumb-up:

tmckeon88
02-06-2009, 06:07 PM
It's a pretty good bet that there will be groove worn in the pulley. I did the seal replacement last year and did the speedi-sleeve thing and it seems to have worked fine. Unless the new pulley is brand-new, the sleeve is a good way to go. If you tackle this job, feel free to PM me about some advice- I also was replacing my radiator at the time and having that out made it all much easier. I also pulled off the timing cover and water pump and replaced the mud shield rivets with screws; this will facilitate ever having to replace the seal again. Good luck with the job.

Tom