PDA

View Full Version : S3 Hardtop headliner

Walker
02-09-2009, 02:55 PM
I recently baught a headliner kit from Badger CW (very nice, by the way) but when I went toinstall the back half there doesn't appear to be anything to screw the headliner frame to. Did I miss something or is it possible a PO used an earlier version? Any help is appreciated. :thumb-up:

Leslie
02-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Possible that the PO removed the appropriate bits, IMO....

SafeAirOne
02-09-2009, 08:11 PM
If the Badger one is a soft headliner (not the shell-type) then there is a panel on the rear wall of the roof (see photo 1). I think it's pressboard, but it has some sort of metal to hold screws if I recall correctly. This rear panel is installed first. Next, the back edge of the headliner is screwed through it's metal channel to the pressboard rear panel so that with the headliner completely installed, the screws are not visible (they're between the headliner and the roof). In the second photo, you can see where one of the screws has popped out. Once the back edge is installed, work your way forward with the rest of the mounting bits.

SafeAirOne
02-10-2009, 07:55 AM
... when I went toinstall the back half there doesn't appear to be anything to screw the headliner frame to...

I thought you were referring to the very back edge, but after re-reading your post I'm not sure exactly which area you're talking about. Is it the back or the sides or the front of the aft headliner? 109 or 88?

Walker
02-10-2009, 10:57 PM
I am having trouble with the whole back half of the liner. Yes it is the soft top, however, the rear piece over the door doesn't fit either without having a slit cut into it to fit over the edging. Also, what does the front of the rear half hook to? A PO had taken all except the front half out of the truck so I'm working sorta blind. Thanks for the feedback.

SafeAirOne
02-10-2009, 11:17 PM
...the rear piece over the door doesn't fit either without having a slit cut into it to fit over the edging. Also, what does the front of the rear half hook to?

I seem to recall having to work hard to get that piece in over the door, but I eventually got it without modifying it in any way. It is kind of bendy and you just need to take your time and work it, if memory serves.

You don't say whether you have a 109 or 88. I can only tell you about the 109--The forward part of the rear headliner has a metal angle that "hooks" over the channel that sticks down from the roof. The liner is screwed through the metal angle and into the channel as in the photos:

adkrover
02-11-2009, 12:52 PM
I recently installed a Badger top in my 109 and had similar problems. The rear pressboard panel was a very tight fit over the door but keep trying and it will fit. The rear panel is held in place by a metal clip at both ends that attached to the bolts thru the roof securing the safari top. If you don't have a safari roof, then you may need to add a bolt throught the roof.

I screwed the headliner to the pressboard panel by screwing through the panel and into the metal hoop before installing the rear panel. I was concerned about the screw threads pulling out of the pressboard.

I recommend calling Badger. When I was buying mine, they were very insistant that if I had any trouble to call them first. They are very knowledgable and can tell you exactly what parts you might be missing. It sounds to me that you are missing bits if the PO removed the old headliner and didn't keep the metal bits. On a 109 there should be a u channel hoop for the front and rear of the headliner as well as long thin strips that tension the sides and rest above the windows. If it's an 88 I have no idea.